Friday should be another thrilling matchup in this series. There just seems to be a little bit more effort from the players when these two schools play as bragging rights are on the line and it spills over from not just the players but into the communities of these two programs as well. We take a look at the key players involved in this Friday night's game.
- LB J.B. Shippy: Shippy is the heart and soul of the Gaffney defense and quite honestly maybe the entire team. His numbers are staggering once again and with one huge hit he's been known to sway the tide of games. Shippy will have to set the tone early and keep the Indians' defense focused on a Rebels offense that can break the big play at any given moment. Shippy was named to the SC Shrine Bowl squad on Thursday.
- RBs Steffen Foster & Jeremiah Cochran: Talented duo will need to keep the chains moving to keep the Rebels offense on the sidelines. If the Indians offensive line comes out inspired it could be a long night for the Rebels defense with these two running the ball.
- QB/TE David Dewberry: He's not Malcolm Long by any means but Dewberry will have to play a steady/efficient game for Gaffney to come away with a victory. Shaky early in the season due to lack of repetition at QB but has gotten things together here as of late to continue the Indians winning ways.
- S Johnny Woods: Highly underrated player who simply makes plays. Will have to help keep an eye on the big play from the Rebels and help in run support as well. A ballhawk like teammate Shippy.
- DE Everett Dawkins: Dawkins has been a beast this season and will have to provide pressure on a regular basis to keep Gaffney on their heels. One of the most highly sought after recruits in South Carolina currently. Dawkins was just named to the SC Shrine Bowl squad on Thursday.
- RB Marcus Lattimore: Just a sophomore the young star has been a constant for the most part this season when given carries. He keeps opposing teams honest with his running ability enabling the pass oriented Rebels to thrive normally. Lattimore is just as effective catching out of the backfield. Runs with authority and will need another solid game to help the Rebels secure a win.
- QB Chas Dodd: Another sophomore who has become a rising star for the Rebels. This will be the biggest game of his young career thus far but he's shown nerves of steel to this point. Reads the defense well and makes smart decisions. Already the school record holder for most passing yards in a single game (462 yards).
- WR Randall Hawkins: Hawkins has been double teamed a lot this season but he's always managed to shine in the Rebels' biggest games it seems. Another stellar effort will be needed by Hawkins to help Byrnes knock off the Indians.
- WR Ricco Sanders: Maybe the fastest player for the Rebels Sanders gamebreaking ability must be utilized. Has shown flashes of brilliance but will need to step up big and help relieve some of the pressure on Hawkins.
SCPrepNation.com will be in the house at Nixon Field to cover the battle between the AAAA heavyweights so be sure to check with us for a recap and plenty of pictures that will put you right in the middle of the action.