The Northwestern Trojans came into Gibbs Stadium Thursday night and put on a pretty impressive showing against the Spartanburg Vikings pitching a 34-0 shutout. A big part of their offensive success was the play of 2009 WR LaBris Adams. Teammate WR Cordarrelle Patterson got most of the shine on the night but it was Adams' contributions that were just as big because many of his catches helped the Trojans offense keep the chains moving.
Below are some of the notes and analysis observed while watch Adams play against Spartanburg High:
LaBris Adams Analysis
- Utilizes size (6'2) to shield defenders well
- Shows little fear going over the middle to make the big catch
- Has improved ability to catch the ball using primarily his hands instead of using his body
- Has good leaping ability to go up and over defenders to make some dazzling catches
- Continues to excel as a very good blocker down the field, a trait that is often underappreciated. He seeks defenders and does a good job engaging and clearing space for offensive teammates.
- Ball skills after the catch were good last season but it appears he's taken it up another notch this season.
2009 Northwestern WR LaBris Adams
Final Analysis: At this point it would appear LaBris Adams would possibly be best suited as a posession receiver on the next level unless he improves his speed. Don't get me wrong he's got adequate speed but he's not in that elite class of speed burners. Where he makes up for it though are his talents in the open field after securing the catch. That will get him many looks along with his substantial frame (6'2 185 pounds). A very nice sleeper who goes about his business and makes big plays look easy. Should he continue with similar performances and showcase his work ethic we feel it won't be long before he receives his first scholarship offer.
Check out video highlights of LaBris from his junior season below.
Stay tuned to SCPrepNation.com for the very best coverage and analysis of the state's top prospects like LaBris Adams. We will continue to unveil video highlights from this season as SCPrepNation.com continues to hit the road each and every week seeking out some of the state's best matchups.