Stony Point second half surge key in win

Texas Prep Insider is in the streets to bring you the latest high school football news. Tonight we have your game wrap up for the Round Rock Stony Point and Pflugerville Connally game.

ROUND ROCK, TEXAS—Though a football game takes four quarters to win, the Stony Point football team proved that a game can go from competition to a route in a matter of minutes. The Tigers scored 42 un-answered points in the second half to beat Pflugerville Connally 42-3 on Thursday night. 

The two teams went back and fourth throughout the first half. The defenses proved the strongest asset for both teams, as no touchdowns were scored. But just before halftime, Connally kicker Kevin Del Aguila hit a 42-yard field goal to give the Cougars the lead heading into the locker room.

So after playing a mistake-ridden first half, Stony Point came out for the second half looking like a whole different team. Despite losing an onside kick to Connally on the opening kick off of the second half, Stony Point quickly got the ball back with good field position thanks to a good punt return by David Fulgencio. A few plays later quarterback Gus Barrera completed a 15-yard touchdown pass to tight end Gerard Shillow, to give the Tigers the lead. 

After a fumble on the following Connally possession the Tigers once again had the ball in Cougar territory at the 35-yard line. The Tigers had a little trickery, which ended with Stephen Williams stepping into the end zone with ease. 

"After the fumble, we knew that the defense was going to come out and be kind of off key," Sharp said. "We knew that we could hit them with a big play and we have had that play hidden in our playbook all year, we had it last year and never really got to use it… so we went for it. Blocking was great, and Stephen (Williams) got open and he made it real easy on me… I knew right away it was going to be there." 

Six minutes into the third quarter the Tigers had a 14-3 lead and looked to be just catching their stride.

After a quick three and out by Connally, Stony Point got the ball back at its own 10-yard line. On third and two from the Tiger 30 yard-line, Sharp completed a pass to Shillow who dragged several Connally players with him down to the Cougar 22-yard line for a 48-yard reception. Two plays later, Barrera ran it from 16 yards out, to extend the Tiger lead to 21-3. 

Stony Point recovered a loose ball on the ensuing kickoff, to once again gain good field position. Early in the fourth quarter Stony Point scored again on a 6-yard pass from Sharp to wide receiver Cody Jones. The Tigers scored two more touchdowns with reserves to end in a dominating fashion

The first half and second half basically looked like two different games.

"The first half we beat ourselves," Sharp said. "At half-time we took the guys aside and said ‘we need to play our game, we can't play down to their level'. Nothing against Connally, they're a great team… but we knew that we could get it done if we got on the right people. And we got it done and it worked."

Offensively, Stony Point coach Craig Chessher continues to employ a two-quarterback system with Sharp and Barrera rotating in on almost every other play. Although it did look like Barrera took the majority of the snaps against Connally, both players had good games, and Sharp came in on some plays at tight end. 

Sharp says the two quarterbacks see it as more of a partnership than a battle for the position.

"It works," Sharp said. "Our offense clicks, and it makes the defense stay on their toes. We can both run and we can both throw, and it really throws them off."

The Stony Point offense had a total of 447 yard on the night, with 182 on the ground and 265 in the air. For the defense, linebacker Fulgencio had two interceptions in the game. 

Next week Stony Point host Waco at Dragon Stadium.

The Old Coach Top Stories