3A State Day-4, Trophy Time

It is Saturday and time to hand out eight chunks of wood with etched glass, trophies that is, as the survivors are still in the Tacoma Dome. By day's end one team, either two-time defending champion Rainier Beach or Metro League rival O'Dea, will leave with a big gold ball. But first there are other issues to be settled.

First up was the fight for places 5 and 8 with Bellingham taking on Columbia River. In a battle of contrasting styles it would be interesting to see which team would impose their will on the other. That imposing will thing may be a theme for the biggest game of the day. The Raiders got it at their pace early, jetting to an 8-2 lead but River showed they can play at a faster tempo and led 16-14 late in the quarter. 6-3 junior Sean Price made it 18-14 just prior to the horn.

CR pushed it to 27-19 playing up tempo but the Raiders cut it to 27-25 when Tim Sellereit finished on the break inside one minute to go in the half. And that was the score at the break. Chris Bolton scored 11 in the half. Sellereit had 10 for the Raiders.

6-3 senior Brandon Foote's steal and score put Bellingham on top 29-27 early in the third quarter. River was back to being very deliberate on the offensive end. Bolton's trey put River back in front 30-29 but Foote drove inside and Bellingham had it back, 31-30. Noah Contreras gave the lead back to CR 32-31 and all of this in less than 3:00. Sean Price made it 34-31 and hit a freebie for a 35-31 score. River's next possession was typical of their style, 49 seconds before a shot attempt. The Chieftains were imposing their will. Aaron Guinn made it 37-31. It was 37-33 heading to the fourth.

Foote got a steal on the inbounds to open the quarter and scored inside seconds later to cut it to 2 points at 37-35. Azubo Bearden tied it on a put back but Bolton answered with a trey, 40-37 River a minute into the quarter. Sellereit responded with a three ball from the right wing. Ryan hit a pair from the line and CR was back on top. Whew. Foote tied it inside as the clock went under 6:00. We got us a basketball game baaaby. An errant pass on an inbounds led to an easy Bearden bucket for a 44-42 Raider lead. Price tied it at the 4:00 mark. Contreras scored on a long pass, drew the foul, converted and CR led 47-44 at 3:43. Bearden tied it with a trey. Guinn put River on top 49-47 with 2:25 to go. Foote tied it at the 2:07 mark. Bellingham ran the last minute off the clock and Sellereit fired a bullet pass to Foote cutting along the baseline off a wicked Tony Hillaire pick. Foote made the 2-footer and the Raiders led 51-49 with 3.3 remaining. The Raider defense smothered CR's final effort, game over.

Foote scored 20 and added 5 dimes with 4 steals. Sellereit dropped in 15 points. Bolton scored 17 in the loss.

Clarkston and Renton were next for fourth and seventh places. The bantams opened with a lob to 6-10 Josh Heytvelt for a thundering dunk and ran out to an 18-12 lead over the Indians at the end of the first period.

The Bantams had built a 10 point lead on another lob to Heytvelt for some thunder at the 4:00 point of the second quarter. Heytvelt made it an even dozen at 32-20 with a nice turn-around jumper form in close after Steffond Brown and Ryan Turnbow traded three pointers. The Bantams led 36-26 at the half.

Heytvelt had a double-double in the half, 16 points, 11 Rodmans. Steffond Brown scored 13 to lead the Indians.

Midway through the third quarter senior guard Jeff Burns cut it to 7 points at 38-31 off a steal and 360 degree spin move before firing in a three ball. Burns had his freak on. Turnbow answered with a short jumper, 40-31, 4:07 showing. Heytvelt hit a 6-foot pull-up for 42-31 and Allen Tucker went baseline for 44-31 at the 3:21 mark. The Bantams once again answered a Renton challenge. After a Brown trey Burns hit a pair from the line and it was a 44-37 game with 2:10 on the clock. Jason Curtis found bottom from the left corner and Clarkston had it back to 10 points at 47-37. Following another Brown trey, Lael Johnson's bucket at the horn sent it to the final 8:00 with Clarkston holding a 49-44 lead.

Back-to-back buckets by Mike Vogeler pushed it back to 10 points at 57-47 but Brown hit another bomb to cut it to 7 points at 57-50 with 5:07 left. Burns cut it to 5 points on a drive and when Brown tallied a pair from the line it was 57-54 with 4:35 to play. A quick turnover on the inbounds and Renton pulled even on another Brown trey.

The Indians took the lead when Marc Williams hit one from the line at 3:57 to complete an 11-0 run in just over a minute. Brown made it 60-57 off another errant inbounds pass. Quinton Jackson made it a 14-0 run with a free throw. Tucker cut it to 61-58 with a free throw at 2:00. Renton turned it over on their end and the Bantams had possession and a time out with 1:44 to go. Heytvelt was fouled going to the basket, hit missed one, hit the second and with 1:06 it was 61-59.

Jackson was fouled, missed one, and made one, 62-59, fewer than 50 seconds. Turnbow was fouled shooting a trey at 38.6, but hit only one, 62-60. Renton got the board and Burns went back to the line with 33.8 to go. He hit both for 64-60. Turnbow missed a trey, Renton boarded the miss and Jackson knocked down both freebies for a 66-60 lead with 14.5 left. Brown took a long pass and hit at the horn, final score 68-60.

Brown went off for 36 points with 7 treys. Burns added 15. Heytvelt had 21 points with 17 boards.

The third/sixth place game had semifinal losers Meadowdale and West Valley finishing off the day session. The Mavs have done a great job containing "bigs" all week and would have their chance at 6-8 Andrew Strait in this one.

Junior guard Jake Linton opened it with a three ball and when 6-7 senior Colin Matteson hit a pair from the line the Mavs were off to a 7-0 start. WV closed the quarter with a 6-0 run, 7-6 after one.

Meadowdale led 21-18 at the half and had done a job on Strait. He was 0-for-6 from the field and got all of his 5 points from the charity stripe. Matteson had 9 in the half to lead all scorers. The shooters were luke warm, Meadowdale shot just 35% in the half, West Valley 28.6%.

Meadowdale had the lead to 7 points several times in the third quarter and ended the period on top 40-35 on the heels of a pair of short jumpers by Matteson.

The Mavs kept it bouncing between 3 and 5 points throughout the fourth quarter but a Strait freebie pulled the Rams to within a basket at 48-46 with 4:00 to go. Henry Faison made it 50-46 but again Strait was hacked while shooting and sent to the line. He made one of two, 50-47, 3:23 to go. Linton made it 52-47 with a pair from the line at the 3:02 mark. Gavin Johnson's pair of freebies made it 52-49 with 2:39 to go. Taylor Marsh hit a baseline jumper for 54-49 but EJ Schoen answered with 1:50 showing.

Marsh was sent to the line and missed the front end of the bonus with the Rams getting the board. Strait scored to cut it to 54-53 with 1:11 remaining. Marsh drilled a trey from the left wing for 57-53 and the Rams were taking a T-O with 40.3 to play. Strait drove for a bucket at 32 seconds for 57-55 and the Rams quickly fouled Linton. He missed the front end of the bonus and Corey Wehr was fouled on the rebound. He sank both to knot it at 57-57 with under 30 ticks to play. Game on ya'll.

Meadowdale took a time out with 21.7 on the clock to set for the final shot. The Mavs were called for a backcourt violation off the inbounds, ball to West Valley with a T-O and 19.4 left. Schoen hit a 10-foot jumper with 3.2 left for a 59-57 Ram lead. Time-out Mavs. Marsh threw long to Matteson but his pass to the wing was intercepted by Strait, game over. WV takes third place.

Strait and Schoen both scored 17 points while Wehr added 12. Matteson had 21, Marsh 15, Linton 11 in the loss. Meadowdale takes sixth place for the second consecutive year.

And then there was one. 25 down, one to go. Rainier Beach seeks to make history with a third consecutive title and fifth over all title. O'Dea has two previous championships. Contrasting styles, public versus private, completely different approaches to the game. Beach, like so many other schools, plays pretty much year round with spring, summer and fall leagues. O'Dea packs the balls away after state and doesn't play as a team again until pre-season practice starts in November.

O'Dea won the tip and pulled 53 seconds off the clock without a point. Their next possession took just 3 seconds and netted 2 points. Tempo is the name of the game, when the break is there the Irish take it, other than that they are very deliberate. Junior guard Mitch Johnson scored 5 straight points, a deuce and a trey, for a 7-3 O'Dea lead with 3:45 left in the quarter.

CJ Harris and Conor Mullen both scored for an 11-3 Irish lead shortly after the first television time out. It stayed right there until the end of the period. Beach was without a field goal after 8:00, scoring their three from the foul line. O'Dea was imposing their will.

Matt Fields broke the ice over the Beach basket with a quick bucket inside to open the second quarter. Harris got bottom from the right corner to extend the lead to 14-5. Johnson made it 16-5 at the 5:30 point. Michael Duty made it 22-7 with a drive down the lane heading into the 3:00 mark. Harris again drained a three from the right corner and the Irish had it to 23-9 with 2:43 showing. Duty made it 25-9 to end a possession that took over a minute off the clock. Andre Geragthy made it 26-9 with a freebie before Terrance Williams hit a late trey for a 26-12 half time score.

Harris scored 8 in the half while Williams had 7 of Beach's dozen. Beach shot just 17.6% from the field hitting only 3 of 17 shots. By comparison O'Dea blistered the nets to the tune of 45.8%.

Freshman forward Emeka Iweka cut it to an 8-point lead when he hit a jumper from just inside the foul line with 5:20 left in the third quarter. Ryan Anderson's trey cut it to 28-23 with 3:51 on the clock. Freshman guard Jamelle McMillan's pair of freebies extended it to 30-23 but CJ Giles answered inside, drew the foul and converted for a 30-26 score at 2:01.

McMillan hit a trey from the right corner to make it 33-26 at 1:24. Rodney Delgardo cut it to 33-28 before Conor Mullen hit one from the line to get it back to 6 points at 34-28. Giles made it a 4-point game, 34-30 with a buzzer beater to end the period.

8:00 to go to decide a champion. Williams cut it to 2 with jumper from on top off the inbounds. Delgardo put Beach in front with a trey from the left corner seconds later Johnson gave it back to O'Dea with a three of his own. So much for slow tempo. Mullen pushed it back to 4 at 39-35 inside 6:00. Giles' dunk made it 39-37. Giles followed his score with a pair of blocks on the defensive end. Can you say INTENSITY? Johnson's thru-traffic lay-in made it 41-37 but Giles got another inside bucket for 41-39. Geraghty's pair from the line got it back to 43-39. Iweka cut it to 2, 43-41. Delgardo tied it off an Anderson steal and was fouled. His free throw, off Harris' fifth foul, gave Beach a 44-43 lead with 3:06 to play. It was becoming a classic title game.

Out of a time out Williams pumped up his guys, "we got the trophy, let's go!" Giles made it 46-43 at 2:12. McMillen tied it at 1:34, 46-46. No fear in that freshman. Giles got it back for RB, 48-46 at 1:11.

Johnson was fouled starting a drive at 31.0, sank both, tie game 48-48. Time out O'Dea. Beach ran it down, Williams' shot was off but Giles rebounded. He was fouled, O'Dea had one foul to give and Beach had an inbounds under their own basket with 2.3 left. The Inbounds went to Iweka, Giles decoyed, but the freshman's shot at the horn rimmed off. OT.

Anderson drilled a trey from the left wing to start the overtime. Johnson hit one of two free throws, 51-49. Giles got a put back for 53-49, Beach's biggest lead. Johnson was fouled shooting a three, hit them all and at 2:37 it was 53-52. Giles got a jam on a put back, 55-52. Mullen drew a foul, plus a technical was called on the Beach bench and with four shots from the line O'Dea could take the lead with 1:46 to go. Mullen hit both of his, Johnson hit both techs and O'Dea led 56-55.

O'Dea went into a spread to run clock with Geraghty drawing a foul with 57.4 left. He missed the first, hit the second, 57-55. McMillan came up with a steal, was fouled, it was the fifth for Giles, and the rail-thin freshman went to the line to shoot a pair with 49.8 left. H missed the first, missed the second and Beach got the rebound. Williams tied it. O'Dea ran it down for a last shot. Mullen was called for a charge at 1.8 after his shot dropped in and was waved off. A long pass went to Williams and his shot at the buzzer was off. It's 4 more minutes.

Williams gave Beach the lead at 59-57 with a pair from the line a minute into the second OT. Duty tied it at 2:00, 59-59, with a 14-foot jumper. Mullen put O'Dea up off a McMillan dish, 61-59 with 1:30 to go. O'Dea got it back and called a time out with 1:10 to play. Johnson went to the line with 1:05 left and got both to pad it to 63-59. Anderson hit a trey from 30 feet and it was a single point at 63-62. Johnson was fouled on the inbounds and headed back to the stripe with 50.0 left. He again got a pair and O'Dea had a 65-62 lead. Kenny Collier cut it to 65-64 with a scoop off the glass with 38.1 to play.

Mullen was fouled at the 24.1 mark, missed both with beach getting the rebound. Williams missed on the other end with O'Dea grabbing the board. This time Johnson went to the line with 10.7 left. He sank the first, missed the second but Geraghty got a loose ball at the other end. Johnson was fouled with .3 left, hit both and O'Dea had the title 68-64.

Johnson hit for 27, Mullen 13. Giles had 21 points with 16 rebounds, Williams 16 points.

Evergreen State Preps Top Stories