HOMEMADE BLENDER MAYONNAISE
2 pasteurized eggs
1 ½ to 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil*
1. Blend eggs, 1 ½ tablespoons of the lemon juice, salt and pepper in blender 30 seconds or until frothy and well-blended.
2. With machine running, slowly pour in oil in a very thin stream (this will take 2 to 3 minutes). Egg mixture will begin to thicken after half of the oil has been absorbed. Stir in remaining 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice for more lemon flavor, if desired. Refrigerate, tightly covered, up to 7 days.
Makes 1 ¼ cups
*Tip: For a thicker mayonnaise, slowly add up to ¼ cup additional oil.
- The secret to perfect mayonnaise is adding the oil slowly. If the oil is added too quickly, the mixture will break or curdle.
- To fix a curdled mayonnaise, add a new pasteurized egg to a clean blender container. With the blender running, slowly add the curdled mayonnaise mixture into the egg.
- When using the mayonnaise in mildly flavored dishes, prepare it with a light-tasting oil like canola.
- For a more robust flavor, use extra-virgin olive oil. Or, use a combination of canola and extra-virgin.
- Flavor the mayonnaise by adding minced garlic, chopped fresh herbs, orange or lime juice in place of the lemon juice, or curry or mustard to taste.
Try making your own mayo for The Perfect Fried Egg Sandwich.