3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Additional melted butter or oil for cooking griddle cakes
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk and 6 tablespoons butter until blended.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl until blended. Make well in center of flour mixture; pour in buttermilk mixture. Whisk until batter is almost smooth (some lumps will remain).
3. Beat egg whites in small bowl at medium speed 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until soft peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the egg whites into batter to lighten; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
4. Heat griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot; lightly brush with melted butter. When butter stops sizzling, pour 1/4 cup batter per cake onto griddle, gently spreading to 4-inch diameter. Cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until bubbles form and pop on surface and bottom is golden brown. Turn and cook 1 minute or until golden brown on both sides, adjusting heat if necessary. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Keep griddle cakes warm on baking sheet in 200°F. oven until all cakes have been made.
20 (4-inch) griddle cakes
PER GRIDDLE CAKE: 125 calories, 5 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 3.5 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 45 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, .5 g fiber
Spiced Buttermilk Griddle Cakes
Whisk 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg into flour mixture in Step 2. Follow remainder of recipe as written. (You may substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg for the cardamom, if desired.)