2 1/4 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled, cut up
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut up
5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup quick-cooking or minute tapioca
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 lb. nectarines (about 6 large), sliced (1/2 inch) (6 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut up
1. Process flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in food processor 10 seconds. Add shortening; process until mixture resembles very fine crumbs. Add 1/2 cup butter; pulse 4 times (just to start blending butter into flour). Pour into large bowl. With fingertips, rapidly pinch butter into flour to form large flakes. (Mixture should be cold. If it begins to warm, refrigerate bowl 20 to 30 minutes before continuing.)
2. Combine 5 tablespoons water and vinegar. Add to flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring flour mixture with fork and adding additional water just until dough forms. Divide dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other; shape each into 5-inch round. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until chilled. (Dough can be made 1 day ahead.)
3. Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, brown sugar, tapioca, lemon peel, pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Add nectarines, blueberries and lemon juice; toss to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, arrange one oven rack in center and another one in bottom position. Place heavy rimmed baking sheet on lower rack. Heat oven to 450°F.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll larger dough round into 12-inch circle. Line 9-inch pie pan with dough; trim dough. Spoon fruit mixture into pan; dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Brush dough overhang with ice water.
6. Roll second dough round into 10-inch circle; place over fruit. Trim dough to 1/2-inch overhang; fold under edge of bottom crust. Press gently to seal; flute edge. Cut 4 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush crust with ice water; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Place on baking sheet on lower oven rack.
7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust begins to brown. Transfer pie with baking sheet to center of oven; reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake 1 hour or until crust is browned and juices bubble thickly through slits. Cool completely on wire rack, at least 6 hours.
PER SERVING: 565 calories, 28 g total fat (12.5 g saturated fat), 5.5 g protein, 77 g carbohydrate, 40 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 4 g fiber