2 cups hot strong coffee
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup room temperature strong coffee
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 (9x2-inch) round baking pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with parchment paper. Spray paper; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Whisk 2 cups hot coffee and cocoa in small bowl until smooth; cool to lukewarm. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Stir in coffee mixture, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla until moistened. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. (Batter will be thin.) Divide batter between pans.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out moist but clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Run small metal spatula around edge of cakes to loosen; invert onto wire rack. Remove parchment paper; turn cakes top-side up. Cool completely.
4. Combine butter and chocolate in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds; stir. Continue to microwave at 10-second intervals until almost melted. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup room temperature coffee; pour into medium bowl. Cool to lukewarm. At low speed, slowly beat in powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 4 tablespoons cream until smooth, adding additional cream to desired frosting consistency.
5. Place one cake layer on serving platter; spread top with 3/4 cup of the frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake, swirling to decorate. Store in refrigerator; serve at room temperature.
PER SERVING: 595 calories, 24.5 g total fat (8.5 g saturated fat), 6 g protein, 95 g carbohydrate, 65 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 4 g fiber