4 cups shredded zucchini (1 1/4 lb.)(2 medium)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fine unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Place zucchini in colander set over bowl; toss with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse zucchini briefly under cold water. Place in clean kitchen towel or paper towels; squeeze out excess moisture.
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Spray 9-inch deep-dish glass or ceramic pie pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, tilting pan to coat.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook onion 2 to 4 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Add zucchini and garlic; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender, stirring frequently.
4. Whisk eggs in large bowl until blended. Whisk in cottage cheese until blended. Stir in zucchini mixture and all remaining ingredients; pour into pie pan.
5. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is lightly browned and firm to the touch. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
PER SERVING: 325 calories, 18.5 g total fat (8.5 g saturated fat), 21.5 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 250 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 3.5 g fiber
For an Italian flavor, substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese for the feta cheese and fresh basil for the mint. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to custard.