6 cups cubed hearty white bread (3/4 inch)
2 cups cubed hearty cinnamon bread (3/4 inch)
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups orange-flavored or regular dried cranberries
1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
3/4 cup coarsely chopped dates
1 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (10- to 12-lb.) goose
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Bake white and cinnamon bread cubes on large rimmed baking sheet 15 minutes or until lightly toasted; place in large bowl. Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or until just softened. Add to bread. Stir in cranberries, apricots and dates. Add broth and egg; stir until bread is moistened. Add all remaining stuffing ingredients; stir gently but thoroughly.
3. Cut away and discard excess neck skin and excess fat and skin from cavity of goose. Remove and discard lower 2 portions of wing at joint with knife or kitchen shears.
4. Spoon about 4 cups of the stuffing into cavity of goose (cavity will be about three-fourths full). Loosely tie legs together. Spoon remaining stuffing into greased 11x7-inch glass baking dish; cover with foil. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
5. With small knife, pierce skin all over to allow fat to drain during roasting, being careful not to pierce meat. Rub outside of goose with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on rack in roasting pan. Add enough water to just cover bottom of roasting pan to keep juices from splattering.
6. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes; remove fat that accumulates in pan. Bake an additional 15 minutes; remove fat. Cover goose with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.; bake an additional 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until internal temperature of inner thigh reaches 175°F. to 180°F. and stuffing reaches 165°F., basting goose and removing excess fat every 30 minutes. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of cooking to brown skin, if necessary. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 20 minutes before carving.
7. Meanwhile, bake remaining stuffing at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until hot.
PER SERVING: 670 calories, 32 g total fat (10 g saturated fat), 37.5 g protein, 60.5 g carbohydrate, 145 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 5 g fiber