BITTERSWEET BROWNIE DROPS WITH MILK CHOCOLATE CHUNKS
The coarsely chopped chocolate chunks in these treats are absolutely luxurious. The cookies should be moist and slightly gooey, so take them out of the oven when they still seem a little soft to the touch; they firm up as they cool.
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate (70% to 72% cacao), chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
1 scant cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
6 oz. milk chocolate, coarsely chopped, or 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Whisk flour and baking soda in small bowl.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate and butter in medium heatproof bowl set in large skillet filled with 1 inch barely simmering water over low heat. Stir frequently until melted, smooth and fairly hot to the touch; remove bowl from skillet.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, stirring just until blended. Add flour mixture; stir vigorously until smooth and glossy and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. (It’s important the batter pulls itself together, so don’t stop mixing until it does.) Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in walnuts and milk chocolate. Drop 1 rounded tablespoon of batter per cookie 2 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are puffed and crackled on the surface but still soft when gently touched. Slide cookies and parchment paper onto wire rack; cool completely. (Cookies can be made 2 to 3 days ahead. Store in an airtight container.)
PER COOKIE: 140 calories, 9 g total fat (4 g saturated fat), 2 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 20 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 1 g fiber