Humble green cabbage doesn’t get the respect that its trendier cousins like kale or baby bok choy do. Here are five reasons it deserves a share of the spotlight.
1. It’s very low in calories: just 15 calories in a cup of raw cabbage.
2. It’s high in fiber: 2 grams per cup of raw cabbage.
3. It’s a useful ingredient in any weight-loss plan because of its high water content.
4. It’s one of the least expensive items in the produce aisle, yet it offers an impressive package of nutrients: One serving provides about half the daily recommended intake of vitamin C.
5. It contains cancer-fighting phytochemicals.
TIP Overcooking cabbage will reduce its benefits, so it’s best to enjoy it raw or lightly cooked.