WINTER GREENS CHEESE GRATIN
8 (3/4-cup) servings
An assortment of mixed greens layered with lemon- and garlic-seasoned ricotta cheese bakes into a gratin that’s similar to a green lasagna, minus the pasta. This versatile dish makes the perfect side dish or light entrée, and it can be made ahead of time. Feel free to mix and match the greens as available, aiming for about 1 1/2 pounds of greens in total.
1 (8- to 10-oz.) bunch collard greens, stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped (6 cups)
1 (8- to 10-oz.) bunch kale, stems and ribs discarded, leaves coarsely chopped (8 cups)
1 (8-oz.) bunch chard, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped (4 cups)
2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 large garlic cloves, minced, divided
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 (4-oz.) pkg. goat cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 cup panko
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook collard greens in large pot of boiling salted water 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove collard greens; cool under cold running water. Gently squeeze out excess water; drain on paper towels. Add kale to same boiling water; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Remove kale; cool under cold running water. Gently squeeze out excess water; drain on paper towels. Cook chard in remaining boiling water 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool under cold running water. Gently squeeze out excess water; drain on paper towels. (There should be about 4 cups blanched greens.)
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375ºF. Coat 6-cup gratin or shallow glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. Heat 11/2 tablespoons of the oil in small skillet over medium heat until warm. Add 1 of the garlic cloves; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Toss in large bowl with blanched greens, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Combine ricotta cheese, goat cheese, egg, lemon peel, remaining 1 garlic clove and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl until blended.
- Place one-third of the greens over bottom of baking dish; top with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with a layer of greens on top. Toss panko, Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in small bowl until coated; sprinkle over top of greens. (Gratin can be prepared to this point 8 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Add an extra 5 minutes to baking time, if necessary.)
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and slightly puffed.
PER SERVING: 190 calories, 13 g total fat (6 g saturated fat), 10.5 g protein, 8.5 g carbohydrate, 50 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 2 g fiber