PULL-APART NUTELLA CARAMEL ROLL BREAD
1 (12-slice) loaf
This irresistible loaf features thin sheets of dough layered with a decadent chocolate-hazelnut spread, scented with orange. It’s finished with an over-the-top drizzle of caramel and a creamy glaze. To serve, pull each layer apart.
Sweet Dough Master Recipe1/3 cup warm whole milk (110ºF. to 115ºF.)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 egg, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine milk, sugar and yeast in large bowl of stand mixer (dough can also be made by hand); let stand 5 to 10 minutes or until foamy. Beat in 3 tablespoons melted butter, salt and allspice at low speed with paddle attachment, if available. Beat in egg and egg yolk until blended.
- Beat in 2 cups flour, adding additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary, to form soft dough. (Avoid adding too much flour, dough will be sticky and won’t pull away from sides of bowl cleanly.) Increase speed to medium-low; beat 5 minutes to knead or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in medium greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and towel; let rise in warm place 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
Pull-Apart Nutella Caramel Roll Bread
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup hazelnut-cocoa spread (Nutella)
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
1 1/2 to 21/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- Coat 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Combine all caramel ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil 2 minutes or until caramel is golden brown and slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine both filling ingredients in medium bowl. Whisk powdered sugar, corn syrup and 1 1/2 tablespoons cream in small bowl, adding additional cream to desired glaze consistency.
- Gently punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread filling over dough. Cut dough crosswise into 5 strips (about 3 1/2-inches wide). Place strips, filling-side up, on top of each other to make 1 large stack. Cut stack crosswise into 6 pieces. Place each small stack, cut-side up, in loaf pan. Pour 1/3 cup of the caramel over dough. Cover; let rise in warm place 50 to 60 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350ºF. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and thermometer inserted in center of bread reaches 190ºF., covering with foil if bread is browning too quickly. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; with small knife, gently loosen edges. Place parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet over top of pan; invert. Turn bread top-side up. Drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup caramel and glaze. Cool on baking sheet on rack 15 minutes; serve warm.
PER SLICE: 375 calories, 18.5 g total fat (7.5 g saturated fat), 5 g protein, 47.5 g carbohydrate, 60 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 2 g fiber
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
Follow these suggestions for perfect results when you make the dough.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to measure the temperature of the milk.
- To quickly bring eggs to room temperature, crack them into a small bowl, and place the bowl into a larger bowl filled with hot water. Stir until the eggs reach room temperature.
- For delicate soft rolls, don’t add too much flour. During kneading, the dough will be sticky and won’t come away from the sides of the bowl cleanly. After rising, however, the dough will lose its stickiness and be easier to work with.
- Use a ruler to roll the dough to the proper size.