Chicken, Chorizo and Beaujolais Stew
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 Spanish-style smoked chorizo sausage links, halved lengthwise, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
2 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves, halved crosswise if large
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (16-oz.) pkg. frozen pearl onions, thawed
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups Beaujolais Nouveau or Beaujolais
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet*
1 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Heat large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add oil; heat until hot. Cook sausage 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Place in large pot.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in same skillet, in batches, 8 to 12 minutes or until well-browned, turning once. Place in pot, placing breasts on top of thighs.
3. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from skillet. Cook onions over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant. Add to pot.
4. Add wine to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Stir in Kitchen Bouquet; pour into pot.
5. Add broth to pot; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. Turn chicken breasts; simmer, partially covered, an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken, sausage and onions; cover loosely with foil.
6. Bring liquid in pot to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk 3 tablespoons water and cornstarch to dissolve; whisk into hot liquid in pot. Boil several minutes to thicken slightly. Return chicken, sausage and onions to pot; stir to coat with sauce.
TIP *Kitchen Bouquet is a browning and seasoning sauce used here to prevent the stew from taking on a purple hue from the wine. You can find it in the condiment and sauce aisle.
4 (2 1/2-cup) servings
PER SERVING: 650 calories, 40 g total fat (12.5 g saturated fat), 46 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 145 mg cholesterol, 1275 mg sodium, 2.5 g fiber