Photos will be judged on composition, focus, creative perspective, subject matter, color and texture.
2013 1st place winner: Marcie Fowler, Tenmile, OR
Here's what you could win:
1st Prize: Ryobi 40V-X Expand-It String Trimmer, 40V Brushless Chainsaw, 40V Hedge Trimmer, 40V Jet Fan Blower
2nd Prize: Black & Decker 36V 19-inch Self-Propelled Rechargeable Mower with Removable Battery
3rd Prize: Excalibur 5-Tray Non-Timer Dehydrator
Honorable Mention Prize (9 winners): Gift Card from The Cook's Garden
- Upload or send no more than three photos per member.
- Digital images are preferred, but we will accept color prints.
- Digital photos must be the highest resolution possible (taken with 2.5-megapixel camera or higher) and formatted as a 300 dpi 5x7 inch JPEGs.
- Print photos must be 5x7 inches or larger. Use high-quality photographic paper.
- f you send a CD, label the CD and the case.
- Do not upload digitally compressed or "zipped" photos.
- Label every item of physical entries with member number, name, address and daytime phone number.
- Provide common and botanical names (if known) for all plants, and identify insects, animals, etc.
- Identify any people in photos and their relationship to you.
Printed entries can be mailed to:
National Home Gardening Club
Garden Photo Contest
12301 Whitewater Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55343-9447
We regret that we cannot return any materials or acknowledge receipt of entries.
Photo guidelines and tips
- Avoid shooting in bright sunlight. Gardens photograph best in early morning, late afternoon or on hazy days.
- Use a tripod for sharp focus.
- Don't include distracting elements, such as stray garden hoses or garbage cans, in the photograph.
- Don't use special effects or shapes in cropping, and make sure your camera's time/date stamp is turned off.