Carolina Barbecue Pork Burgers
By Jamie Purviance
Prep time: 20 minutes | Grilling time: 8 to 10 minutes Serves: 6
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bag (8 ounces) shredded coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mop (from the recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon sweet orange marmalade
- 2 pounds lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
1. Whisk the mop ingredients.
2. Combine the coleslaw ingredients.
3. Mix the patty ingredients, and then gently form six patties of equal size, each about 3/4-inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
4. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400°F to 500°F).
5. Grill the patties over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to medium doneness (160°F), 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. During the last 30 seconds to one minute of grilling time, toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat. Remove the patties and the buns from the grill, and generously brush the patties with the remaining mop.
6. Build each burger on a bun with a patty and coleslaw. Serve warm.
©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Big Book of Burgers™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.
Photography by Tim Turner. ©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Used with permission.