Just some ramblings here.
1. Iowa Western's defense obviously did not get enough credit beforehand, holding a team like Butler to seven points. I wonder if Hutchinson did something in the Region 6 championship game that Iowa Western took note of. Hutchinson really clamped down on Butler's dynamic offense in the championship game.
2. What a great win for Garden City and the Jayhawk Conference in Mississippi. I was curious why the Mississippi Bowl invited a 6-4 and unranked team, and the conspiracy theorist in me says that Mississippi wanted to bring in what was perceived to be a "weak" Kansas team and obliterate them. Is Mississippi really that weak or Kansas that strong? Probably somewhere in the middle.
3. I can't say enough about Hutchinson's Kody Cook, the kid who replaced Luke Barnes after he broke his right pinky early in the game. Cook had thrown two collegiate passes, and if memory serves me right, both came on trick plays. Having not played QB in two years and then rally his team down seven points twice? Not bad. Yeah, yeah, I know ... "It was Iowa Central." Doesn't matter. Hutchinson's best receiver didn't dress, and Terrell Lane was maybe 75 percent.
4. Can anyone tell me how bad Billy Cosh got hurt? That was obviously a big blow. I'm not sure if Butler would have won, but 14-0 is often nothing to Butler.
5. The Midwest Football Conference has taken some crap around here for being weak. Ellsworth beat No. 18 Louisburg. DuPage beat NEO. Iowa Central was tied at Hutch going to the fourth quarter. And Iowa Western is the national champion. I know there are only five teams in that conference, but I wouldn't mind seeing MFC-Jayhawk regular-season meetings. Here's what a potential "challenge" could look like:
Butler vs. Iowa Western
Hutchinson vs. Ellsworth
Coffeyville vs. DuPage
Garden City vs. Iowa Central
Fort Scott vs. NDSCS
6. I see Central Lakes-Brainerd didn't go to the Valley of the Sun. I think a rule should be implemented where if your conference doesn't either host a bowl game or your conference doesn't play in a bowl game after getting invited, no team from your conference is eligible for the rankings the next year.