2001 Mission Conference
"Players of the Week" – Week 2
• Saddleback's Jason Whieldon (6-1, 190, So, QB, Orange Lutheran) shattered the team's single-game records for attempts and completions, as he connected on 32 of 61 passes for 377 yards.
• Pasadena's Nathan Chandler (6-7, 250, So, QB, South Lake Carroll, Tex.) completed 21-of-37 passes for 302 yards and two TDs.
• Orange Coast's Nick Higgs (6-1, 195, So, QB, Sultana) threw for 285 yards on 15-of-26 passes, three TDs, one INT. He also scored on a four-yard run.
• Riverside's Ronnie Hill (6-1, 190, Fr, WB, Temecula Valley) completed 18-of-35 passes for 207 yards and two TDs.
• Santa Ana's Brandon Fischer (6-0, 220, So, RB, El Dorado) set a school record with 308 rushing yards on 37 carries. His four rushing TDs helped the Dons to a 40-28 win at Moorpark.
• Palomar's Rory Palmer (6-2, 225, So, RB, Mt. Carmel) carried the ball 28 times for a game-high 147 yards and two TDs.
• Golden West's Pierre Holliday (5-10, 200, Fr, RB, South Pasadena) ran for a career-high 108 yards on 24 carries and two touchdowns. He also had two catches for 18 yards in the Ruslters' 14-3 win over LA Valley.
• Palomar's Siree McLean (5-10, 205, So, RB, Fairfield) had 118 yards on the ground on 16 carries and added one score
• Saddleback's Chris Bernard (6-1, 190, So, WR, Aliso Niguel) caught 12 passes for 177 yards. He also threw a four-yard TD pass, had four carries for 15 yards, and returned three kicks for 74 yards.
• Long Beach's Clint Bingham (5-11, 170, So, WR, Bellevue, Wash.) led the Vikings with nine pass receptions for 147 yards and two touchdowns (22, 5). He also returned three punts for 35 yards.
• El Camino's Joseph Crenshaw (5-11, 170, So, WR, Gardena) had two touchdown catches (46, 33) for the second week in a row. He finished the game with 105 yards on three catches.
• Orange Coast's Vince Strang (5-8, 155, So, WR, Huntington Beach) hauled in three passes for 128 yards and scored on a 58-yarder.
• Mt. SAC's Dominic Longo (Fr, WR) led the Mounties with five catches for 86 yards and one score (25).
• Saddleback's Tony Holder (5-9, 165, Fr, WR, Los Alamitos) had nine catches for 108 yards.
• Riverside's Joe Roberson (6-4, 205, Fr, WR, Temescal Canyon) grabbed seven receptions for 100 yards and a TD.
• Pasadena's James Griffin (6-2, 190, Fr, LB, Memphis, Tenn.) recorded 3.5 QB sacks and had seven total tackles in the Lancers' 45-10 win over East LA.
• Golden West's Shaun Tagatauli (6-0, 235, So, LB, Los Amigos) tallied seven tackles (five solo), two QB sacks, two pass knockdowns, and one blocked-kick.
• Santa Ana's Darnell Smith (6-0, 195, So, CB, San Marcos) had two INTs, one pass break-up and one solo tackle.
• Mt. SAC's Billy Armenta (DE) had eight tackles (five solo), two QB sacks, two hurries, and one fumble recovery.
• El Camino's Brian Smith (6-2, 220, Fr, LB, Peninsula) recorded 10 tackles (six solo) and five QB pressures.
• Pasadena's Darryl Moore (5-9, 165, Fr, DB, Monrovia) had an interception, one fumble recovery and one pass break-up.
• Palomar's Ray Holdcraft (6-1, 248, So, LB, Va.) tallied seven tackles (four solo, one for loss) , one sack and one pass deflection.
• Golden West's John Downs (6-4, 230, So, DL, Parkview, Mo.) registered nine tackles (three solo), including two for losses; to go with one QB sack and two knockdowns.
• Fullerton's Joey Ellis (6-1, 215, So, LB, Loara) led the Hornet defense with 11 total tackles (two for loss) and recorded an INT.
•Palomar's Shane Lancaster (6-0, 200, Fr, S, San Mateo) led the Comets with 3.5 sacks, added four total tackles (three for loss), and forced one fumble.
• El Camino's Gerald Fletcher (5-11, 180, Fr, CB, Westchester) led the Warriors with 11 tackles, including eight unassisted.
• Riverside's Larry Rice (6-2, 215, So, LB, Moreno Valley) led the Tigers with 10 tackles (four solo) and one QB sack.
• Palomar's David Dixon (5-11, 170, Fr, CB, Compton) registered seven solo tackles (two for loss) and three pass deflections.
• Fullerton's James Benton (6-6, 290, So, DE, Villa Park) had six tackles (two solo), one QB hurry and a blocked PAT.
Kick Returns/All-Purpose/Total Offense
• Pasadena's Jonathan Smith (5-9, 180, So, RB/KR, Narbonne) gained 240 all-purpose yards and led PCC with four touchdowns. He had six catches for 121 yards, six carries for 67 yards, and two kick returns for 52 yards.
• El Camino's Alvin Marshall (5-11, 185, Fr, RB/KR Locke) compiled 197 all-purpose yards (75 rush, 36 rec, 86 ko) and scored on runs of 15 and five yards.
• Fullerton's Scott Lambert (5-10, 210, So, K/P, Servite) made all three FG attempts (36, 37, 31), and finished the day with a career-high 11 points. He also booted three kickoffs through the endzone.