MT. SAN JACINTO COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Invites application for the position of:
PHYSICAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
EXTENDED CLOSING DATE: December 12. 2003
Mt. San Jacinto College seeks a Physical Education Instructor/Head Football Coach to teach, coach and develop courses in Physical Education, This is a tenure-track 10 month academic position. Full-time faculty are typically assigned 15 lecture hours (or the equivalent In laboratory, studio or related activities) of student contact time, Office hours are also required. Faculty are expected to participate in college governance through Academic Senate appointments to standing councils, committees, and/or a variety of task forces. Teaching assignments may include a mixture of day, evening, multi-campus and off-campus classes. The Head Football Coach receives an additional stipend for this service.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Classroom duties: provide instruction that may include lecture and laboratory classes in Physical Education in accordance with established Mt. San Jacinto Community College District approved curriculum and course outlines; inform students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance and participation requirements in a course syllabus; effectively teach and communicate with students of diverse backgrounds; Interaction with students outside of class: advise students on academic and career matters; assist in outreach and articulation with District high schools, four-year colleges and universities; post and maintain adequate and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy;
Out-of-class duties: maintain necessary attendance, scholastic and student records, and submit them according to published guidelines; prepare and grade class assignments and evaluations according to course syllabus; Professional and curriculum development maintain currency in field; develop, maintain and evaluate curriculum; inter-act with faculty and staff In other areas of instruction and participate in the development of instructional methods, technology, and materials; work with peers in higher education. business and industry to maintain currency of instructional programs; Interaction with colleagues: participate in campus/college governance by serving on campus/college committees; participate In professional development, student and other educational activities in accordance with college policies;
Duties related to Head Football Coach assignment: plan and direct the recruitment, conditioning, training, practices, eligibility and behavior/conduct of student athletes in the program; ensure compliance with all regulations, rules, procedures and policies for the football program as established by the COA, Foothill Conference, and Mt San Jacinto College District; develop and monitor the program budget; promote MSJC athletes in the community; assist in the arrangement of a competitive schedule of opponents; maintains a close working relationship with local high school coaches; and assist student athletes in academic and athletic preparation for transfer to four-year colleges as well as advise, evaiuate and mentor student athletics. The incumbent must at all times demonstrate respect for the rights and needs of students and demonstrate respect for staff, colleagues and the teaching profession.
Education: The position requires a Master's in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education OR Bachelor's in any of the above AND Master's in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration, or physical therapy OR the equivalent.
A sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students is required.
An ability to teach intercollegiate physical education, and coordinate and coach a football program is
• Strong academic preparation in Physical Education as evidenced by undergraduate and graduate level coursework
• Demonstrated ability to teach Physical Education courses from introductory to advanced, including
• Demonstrated ability to assume the duties of the head coach of football, to
promote the football program, and a commitment to the academic success of
• Recent (within the last 5 years) teaching experience in teaching Physical Education and experience as a head or assistant football coach at an accredited community college
• Demonstrated commitment to diverse teaching methods and leaming styles, particularly as applied to the learning of Physical Education and in the coaching of football
• Evidence of a strong commitment to remain current in Physical Education and intercollegiate football theory and practice.
• Demonstrated commitment to community college education, as demonstrated In personal and for professional experience
• Demon aed excellence in teaching (enthusiasm, knowledge of subject matter, student motivational skills and ability to teach students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds)
• interest in and/or ability to use relevant and modem technology In Physical Education instruction, including mediated and on-line instruction
• Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to such issues of diversity as academia preparedness. culture, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic circumstances, and disability
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues and students, with bath on-campus groups as well as off-campus community and educational partners
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with students and staff, both orally and in writing
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The salary ranges from annually. Placement on the salary schedule will be commensurate with education and experience. not to exceed step five (5) of the assigned salary schedule. The first-year contract will be a ten-month (178 day) assignment- Medical, dental and life insurance is made available, and a sizable District contribution is provided. Sick leave is earned at the rate of one day per month. STRS participation is required for retirement, Position starts Spring 2004 semester While the current vacancy is expected to be at the San Jacinto Campus, applicants may be assigned to the Menifee Valley Campus Or any District facility-
ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Each candidate must submit:
1 Completed district academic application form;
2. Letter of interest that includes a statement of philosophy regarding education;
3. Current resumé or vita;
4. Placement file or three current letters of reference;
5. unofficial transcripts of ALL upper division college-level work (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate). The successful candidate will be required to submit official transcripts at the time of hire;
Application materials may be obtained by calling the Human Resources job line at 909-487-MSJC (6752), ext. 1111, TUD: 909-654-2098 or, you may request an application via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application materials and the complete
Job announcement may be downloaded from the MSJC website at www.msic.edu.
Please submit your completed application packet to:
Mt- San Jacinto Community College District
Human Resources Department
1499 N. State Street
San Jacinto, CA 92583
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKETS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PERSON OR WA U.S. MAIL TO TUE ADDRESS SPECIFIED ABOVE, APPLICATIONS FOR THIS OPENING WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT THE DISTRICT'S MENIFEE VALLEY CAMPUS.
To ensure consideration, an application must be received in Human Resources by December 12 2003. A resumé will not substitute for the intonation required on the application. Application screening will begin shortly after December 12, 2003, and only the most qualified candidates will receive further consideration.
TRAVEL EXPENSES ARE NOT COVERED BY THE DISTRICT
All materials submitted in the application package are for this position only and become the property of the District. The materials will not be retumed or considered for any other openings.
Equal Opportunity Employment|Website; www.msjc.edu