ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF EXERCISE SCIENCE AND HEALTH/ HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
SCHOOL OF HEALTH, EXERCISE SCIENCE AND ATHLETICS
11-MONTH, TENURE TRACK POSITION
DEADLINE: Position open until filled. Screening of applications begins 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 21, 2006.
STARTING DATE: August 22, 2006 (Fall Semester, 2006)
VACANCIES ARE CONTINGENT UPON AVAILABLE FUNDING.
This position may include a combination of day, evening, weekend, extension site, and online or hybrid assignments.
Under the direction of the Dean of the School of Health, Exercise Science and Athletics. The teaching assignments will consist of health and fitness activity classes, also exercise science lecture classes. The assignment also includes head coaching responsibilities for intercollegiate football and serving as recruiting coordinator and transfer facilitator. Other responsibilities include fundraising, community involvement, and supervision of all aspects of an intercollegiate program.
General Faculty Attributes and Responsibilities:
Southwestern College is committed to meeting the educational goals of its students in an environment that promotes intellectual growth and develops human potential.
SWC faculty are collegial and collaborative. They demonstrate the highest degree of professionalism, integrity and respect when interacting with students, peers, classified employees and administration. They observe proper and appropriate channels of communication, enforce the policies and regulations of the college and strive to support and improve college programs.
In addition to instruction, general responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- teaching all classes as assigned or scheduled and maintaining contractually-defined office hours that are supportive of students
- appropriate class preparation in support of all course objectives
- impartial assessment and evaluation of students
- adequate tracking and record keeping of student performance and outcomes
- participation in meetings pertinent to faculty professional responsibilities, including standing and ad hoc committees
- consistent involvement in professional development and/or extracurricular activities
- involvement in the shared governance process
- participation in strategic planning and program review
- knowledge and practice of pedagogy and andragogy that supports a variety of learning styles and includes a wide range of instructional delivery systems
- demonstrates commitment to collegiality and professionalism by working as a team with discipline faculty members in the planning of class schedules, teaching rotations of discipline courses, and support for department and school activities
Faculty are expected to take a proactive role in the updating and revision of their discipline-specific courses and development of new curriculum, as well as student recruitment, advising and retention. This includes the appropriate merging of technology and student outcomes into the curriculum, as well as effective applications and utilization of instructional technology. Active involvement in student recruitment, advising and retention is also expected.
Master's degree in Physical Education, Exercise Science, Education with an emphasis in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Physiology of Exercise, or Adaptive Physical Education OR Bachelor's degree in any of the above AND Master's in any Life Science, Dance, Physiology, Health Education, Recreation Administration, or Physical Therapy OR the equivalent OR a valid California Community College Credential in Physical Education.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities. Experience working in a community with a similar diversity pattern as is found in the service area for Southwestern College is desirable.
Have teaching experience in fitness and a desire to work in a Fitness Certification Program; have experience coaching football at the intercollegiate level; be ethical, responsible, and adaptable; seek opportunities to grow both personally and professionally; embrace the mission and objectives of California Community Colleges; have an interest in innovation designed to enhance programs in the Health, Exercise Science, and Athletics department as well as campus wide programs at Southwestern College; have developed a passion to teach and coach others in the fitness and athletics fields
A teaching/coaching demonstration will be required of those selected for interview.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Upon initial employment, full-time faculty members are placed on the salary schedule based upon years of experience and education. The maximum initial placement for experience is Step 6. Faculty members are encouraged to continue their professional development through additional study qualifying them for advancement on the salary schedule. For current salary schedules and information on salary placement visit our website at www.swccd.edu. Excellent fringe benefits.
FAXED AND E-MAIL MATERIALS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, HOWEVER, APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE AVAILABLE ON-LINE AT OUR COLLEGE WEBSITE, www.swccd.edu.
Documents to be considered may include the following:
(1) Letter of application (cover letter); address how your education & coaching philosophy will be used to build the football program at Southwestern College.
(2) Academic Staff Employment Application
(4) Two current letters of recommendation dated within the past year
(5) Unofficial copies of college transcripts showing date degrees conferred
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all application materials are received by the deadline date.
Southwestern Community College District
Human Resources Office, Room 1650
Attn: Assistant Professor of Exercise Science & Health/Head Football Coach Screening Committee
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
All materials included in your application packet become District property, will not be returned, will not be copied, and will be considered for this opening only.
ALL COLLEGE OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED ON MARCH 31, 2006 IN OBSERVATION OF CESAR CHAVEZ DAY.
INTERVIEW TRAVEL COSTS MUST BE BORNE BY THE APPLICANT.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer and in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act,
Southwestern Community College District will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.