NJCAA PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Oct. 31, 2007)- Darrius Jackson (Eastern Arizona College), Garrett Barnas (Harper College), Markus White (Butler Community College) and Regan Buck (Snow College) have been named NJCAA Football Players of the Week for games through October 27.
Jackson and Barnas share Offensive Player of the Week honors, White was selected as Defensive Player of the Week, while Buck is the Special Teams Player of the Week.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Darrius Jackson, Eastern Arizona College (Ariz.)
Fullback; Albuquerque, N.M. / Sandia High School
Jackson was the leading rusher for fourth-ranked Eastern Arizona in their 45-13 win over Pima Community College (Ariz.) where they compiled 579 rushing yards. Jackson rushed for 179 yards on 17 carries and scored three touchdowns. He has been a major factor of the Gila Monster's running game, which ranks first in the NJCAA (347.3 yds/game). He has gained 404 yards on 51 carries and has scored nine touchdowns.
Garrett Barnas, Harper College (Ill.)
Quarterback; Walnut, Ill. / Bureau Valley High School
Barnas, the NJCAA leader in passing (2,296 yds), touchdowns (24), pass attempts (344), completions (186) and total offense (3,173 yds), had a game to remember last week against College of DuPage. He completed 26-37 passes for 318 yards and three touchdowns in a 51-33 victory for the Hawks. The win advanced Harper to the Midwest Football Conference East Championship, which will take place Nov. 3. In addition to a great passing day, Barnas also rushed 21 times for 159 yards and another touchdown in the game.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Markus White, Butler Community College (Kan.)
Defensive End; West Palm Beach, Fla. / John I. Leonard High School
White led second-ranked Butler to a 56-0 win over Highland Community College (Kan.) with 10 total tackles, 3 fumble recoveries, 2.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a pass break-up. He returned one of his fumble recoveries 30 yards for a touchdown and also had three quarterback hurries. So far this season, White leads the nation in sacks (19.5), and forced fumbles (6) and had recored 74 total tackles this season.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Regan Buck, Snow College (Utah)
Punt Returner; Sugar City, Idaho / Madison High School
Buck played a key role in top-ranked Snow College's 22-9 victory over Scottsdale Community College last Saturday. He averaged 27.8 yards per punt return on the day, including returns of 48, 50 and 56 yards.
SOUTHWEST PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offensive Player of the Week:
Jamaal Crawford, RB, Cisco - Crawford rushed for 255 yards and 2 TDs on 36 carries in a 26-20 win over Kilgore to clinch a playoff berth.
Defensive Player of the Week:
Donald Booker, LB, Navarro - Booker, the conference leader in tackles with 135, had 17 tackles, 1 fumble recovery and 1 interception, leading the Bulldogs to a 42-18 win over Blinn
Special Teams Player of the Week:
Alonzo Adams, KR, Tyler - Adams returned 6 kickoffs for a 24.8-yard average, including a 94-yarder for a touchdown as Tyler defeated NEO, 41-34, scoring all of its points in the second half. Adams also caught 9 passes for 174 yards.
Other Players of Note:
- Cornelius Shackleford, RB, Kilgore - Shackleford rushed 27 times for 176 yards, including a 53-yard TD run.
- Chris Davis, RB, Tyler - Davis rushed for 123 yards and 4 TDs on 23 carries.
- Steven Schwark, QB, Tyler - Schwark completed 17 of 28 passes for 270 yards and 1 TD.
- Kyle Roget, LB, Tyler - Roget recorded 9 tackles and had a half a sack. Roget had 6 unassisted tackles.
- Tyrone Ross, RB, Navarro - Ross rushed for 113 yards and 2 TDs on 25 carries in Navarro’s 42-18 victory.
- Bo Bowling, QB, NEO - Bowling rushed for 140 yards and a TD on 28 carries and completed 9 of 22 passes for 161 yards and 2 TDs.
- Marcus Farmer, DT, NEO - Farmer had 6 solo tackles, 6 assists, 2 tackles behind the line of scrimmage for minus-25 yards and a blocked
- Walter Coleman, WR, NEO - Coleman returned 5 kickoffs for 110 yards.
MISSISSIPPI PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offense: East Mississippi tailback LeGarrette Blount (36 rushes for 184 yards and 1 TD)
Defense: Miss. Gulf Coast free safety Tremaine Brock (7 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 pass break-ups)
Special Teams: East Mississippi receiver Leon Berry (Returned a kickoff 90 yards for a TD)
MINNESOTA PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
PK Justin Sorenson, Vermilion (Pine Island, MN; Soph.) - Sorenson last week as 2-2 on field goal attempts with a 42 yard made field goal and 2 extra points and also 3 punts that were inside opponents 10 yard line.
RB Isaac Odim, Rochester (Rochester, MN; Fresh.) - Odim last week had 374 all purpose yards for the Yellowjackets. He had 250 yards rushing on 27 carries, 2 catches for 26 yards, and 2 kickoff returns for 98 yards.
LB Nathaniel Mack, Rainy River (Homestead, FL; Soph.) - Mack last week had 15 tackles, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery for the Voyageurs.
DB Billy Hammer, Central Lakes (Tonopah, NV; Fresh.) - Hammer last week had 2 interceptions, 4 pass deflections, 1 blocked punt and 7 tackles for the Raiders.
KANSAS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
RB Rodney Lovett, Fort Scott (Pompano Beach, FL; Soph.) - Lovett (5-9, 195) had 40 carries for 171 yards and 1 TD.
LB Dominique Roulack, Coffeyville (Alexandria, VA) - Roulack (6-1, 220) had eight tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 QB hurry.
DB Coryell Judie, Fort Scott (Marlin, TX; Fresh.) - Judie (6-1, 180) had 4 solo tackles, 3 asst., 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, also 4 receptions for 56 yards all equaling 1st downs.
WSFL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
RB Darrius Jackson, Eastern Arizona - Jackson rushed for 179 yards on 17 carries and scored three touchdowns as the Gila Monsters ran for 579 yards in a 45-13 win over Pima.
DB Jeromy Jones, Arizona Western - Jones had 11 tackles, broke up a pair of passes, and picked off a pass. He returned the interception 54 yards to set up a score as the Matadors downed Glendale 19-18.
KR Regan Buck, Snow - Buck averaged over 27 yards on six punt returns and had three returns of at least 48 yards as the Badgers beat Scottsdale 22-9.
NORTHEAST PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
AJ McKenna, Lackawanna & William Porter, Nassau: McKenna was 9 for 13 for 217 yards and four touchdowns in the Falcons win over Alfred State. He had touchdown passes of 47, 36, 31, and 12 yards. Porter rushed for 133 yards on 13 carries in Nassau’s win over Berean. He scored from 10, 17, and 26 yards out.
Honorable Mention: Brian Fowler (ECC) and Calvin Belfon (Dean)
Mike Balogun, Lackawanna - Balogun had eight solo tackles (two for a loss), a forced fumble, and an interception in the Falcons win. He returned the interception 49 yards to set up a touchdown for Lackawanna.
Aaron Valentin, Erie - Valentin had 110 yards on two kick-off returns including a school record 95-yard return for a score. The kickoff for a touchdown sparked a comeback 32-27 victory for the Kats.
Honorable Mention: Pat Skelton (Dean) & Anthony Henderson (Lackawanna)
MIDWEST PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
RB Tim Huguley, Joliet JC (Louisville, KY; Fresh.) - In Joliet’s game against Grand Rapids last week, Huguley (5-8, 180) rushed 8 times for 134 yards and 1 touchdown with an average of 16.12 yards per carry. Tim has 490 yards on just 70 carries for a season average of 7 yards per carry. Tim’s 5 rushing touchdowns have helped the Joliet JC Wolves to an 8-2 record and a Graphic Edge Bowl berth this season. In high school, Tim received All-Conference and All-State honors.
MISSION CONFERENCE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Games were cancelled due to fires.
FOOTHILL CONFERENCE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- RB Chris Daniels (5-8, 170, Fr. Serra) - Rushed for 96 yards on 19 carries vs. nation’s #1 rush defense.
- DB Magnum Mauga (6-0, 289, So, Helix) - Made 7 tackles, forced a fumble and made a fumble recovery.
- LB Eric Leon (6-2, 230, FR, Rosamond) - Had 18 tackles, eight of those solo and one for a nine yard sack on fourth down. The 18 puts Leon seventh all time for a Marauder in a game.
- Spc Teams Marcus Wyre Jr. (DB, 5-9, 175, FR, Lancaster) - Blocked a punt and returned it 31 yards for a touchdown. Also, had five tackles, including a sack for four yards.
- Spc Teams Christopher Blackstone (LB, 6-0, 220, SO, California City) - Blocked a punt and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown.
RB Kenslow Smith (5-8, 200, Helix HS) - 19 Rushes for 153 Yards. 6 Receptions for 48 Yards
San Bernardino Valley
- RB Solomon Sweat (Rialto HS) - 20 carries for 111 yards
- Defensive unit held COD to 14 points, 247 total offensive yards
- CB Lorain Mallory (5-11, 165, FR, FL, Miami ) - 1 INT for a TD, 1 pass breakups, 4 tackles
- CB Earl Brookes (5-11, 175, FR, FL, Miami ) - 2 INTs 1 for a 96 yd. TD, 1 pass breakup 4 tackles.
- LB Jason Luke (6-0, 225, FR, CA, 29 Palms) - 8 tackles, 3 sacks, fumble recovery.
WESTERN STATE CONFERENCE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
RB JAMES WALKER, Moorpark - carried 19 times for 103 yards and 1 TD. James is a 5-10, 185 lb. sophomore from New Jersey.
RB BEN ESTILL, Bakersfield - carried 14 times for 139 yards. Ben is a 5-10, 210 lb. freshman from Taft High School.
QB BRANDON HOWELL, Santa Monica - completed 9 of 15 passes for 214 yards and 3 TD’s of 22, 53 and 77 yards. Brandon is a 6-4, 200 lb. sophomore from Pilchuck High School in Washington.
QB TORREY HARKNESS, L.A. Southwest - completed 13 of 22 passes for 189 yards and 1 TD of 79 yards. Torrey is a 5-10, 160 lb. freshman from Locke High School.
DB BYRON SELLS, Ventura - had 7 tackles (6 unassisted), 2 tackles for loss and 2 interceptions. Byron is a 6-0, 185 lb. freshman from Westlake High School.
DL AARON KING, Bakersfield - Aaron King had a great effort for the Renegades in their 38-6 victory over West L.A. Aaron had 6 tackles, 1 tackle for a loss, 1 sack and 1 hurry. Aaron is a 6-5, 235 lb. sophomore from Elisk High School in Houston, Texas.
- PATRICK PATTERSON (Bakersfield) carried 15 times for 107 yards and 1 TD.
- BRANDON MILLER (Bakersfield) had 6 tackles (5 unassisted).
- DEVIN PRUETT (Bakersfield) had 6 tackles (4 unassisted) and 1 pass breakup.
- RAPHAEL REYNOLDS (Canyons) carried 14 times for 146 yards and 1 TD.
- JOEY FRIAS (Canyons) completed 15 of 20 passes for 324 yards and 3 TD’s.
- HAYO CARPENTER (Canyons) 7 catches for 183 yards and 2 TD’s.
- CLAYTON BYRD (Canyons) had 6 tackles (4 unassisted), 2.5 tackles for loss and 1 fumble recovery.
- JASON PIERRE-PAUL (Canyons) had 4 unassisted tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 1 caused fumble and 1 fumble recovery.
- MIKE MCDONALD (Glendale) completed 14 of 18 passes for 274 yards and 1 TD.
- CHRIS MARSHALL (Glendale) caught 4 passes for 111 yards and 1 TD.
- GRANT VALENTINE (Glendale) had 10 tackles and 1 hurry.
- JAMES ANTAPLYAN (Glendale) had 8 tackles and 1 interception.
- ANTHONY EVANS (Moorpark) had 11 unassisted tackles, 2 caused fumbles, 1 interception and 2 pass breakups.
- ROY HOMES (Moorpark) 4 unassisted tackles and 2 pass breakups.
- ANDRE CIRINO (Allan Hancock) carried 14 times for 88 yards and 1 TD.
- TY MUNNERLYN (Allan Hancock) caught 3 passes for 92 yards and 1 TD.
- ISIAH ANDERSON (Allan Hancock) had 16 tackles (11 unassisted) and 1 sack.
- NEIL TIDWELL (Allan Hancock) had 11 tackles (7 unassisted).
- AARON RIDGEWAY (Citrus) carried 22 times for 77 yards.
- DEMARCUS FLANAGAN (Citrus) had 8 tackles (6 unassisted), 2 tackles for loss, 1 caused fumble and 1 fumble recovery.
- PAUL CLARK (Citrus) had 6 tackles (4 unassisted) and 1 tackle for a loss.
- MICHAEL LEE (Ventura) carried 17 times for 79 yards.
- LEE MONDOL (Ventura) completed 14 of 19 passes for 179 yards and 2 TD’s.
- TREVOR LYNE (Ventura) had 13 tackles and 1 fumble recovery.
- CHRIS GOLDER (Ventura) had 12 tackles (9 unassisted) and 1 tackle for a loss.
- ANDREW TRUDNOWSKI (L.A. Harbor) completed 32 of 53 passes for 486 yards and 4 TD’s.
- DERYN BOWSER (L.A. Harbor) caught 9 passes for 174 yards and 2 TD’s.
- CHRIS MATTHEWS (L.A. Harbor) caught 7 passes for 123 yards and 2 TD’s.
- ROLANDO UPSHAW (L.A. Harbor) had 7 tackles (5 unassisted).
- RAHNEE DENNARD (Santa Barbara) carried 23 times for 96 yards.
- NATHAN GOLDIE (Santa Barbara) had 13 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks.
- LATIMER (Santa Barbara) had 11 tackles and 1 interception.
- ALEX PETTEE (Pierce) completed 20 of 41 passes for 173 yards and 1 TD.
- MATTHEW JOHNSON (Pierce) caught 8 passes for 77 yards.
- STEVE JOHNSON (Pierce) had 15 tackles, 5 tackles for loss and 2 caused fumbles.
- RODNEY FRITZ (Pierce) had 16 tackles.
- BILLY MALLARD (L.A. Southwest) carried 21 times for 103 yards.
- JOVONTE TAYLOR (L.A. Southwest) caught 7 passes for 81 yards.
- KENNETH PARKER (L.A. Southwest) had 7 tackles (6 unassisted), 1 tackle for a loss and 1 interception.
- COREY JONES (L.A. Southwest) had 7 tackles (5 unassisted), 2 tackles for loss and 2 pass breakups.
- ANTHONY DICKSON (L.A. Valley) carried 20 times for 141 yards.
- SIONE FALE’OFA (L.A. Valley) had 4 tackles (3 unassisted), 1 tackle for a loss and 1 fumble recovery.
- JOSHUA MARTIN (Santa Monica) caught 2 passes for 99 yards and 2 TD’s.
- CHARLES HATCHETT (Santa Monica) had 9 tackles (7 unassisted).
- MIKA O’NEAL (Santa Monica) had 7 tackles (6 unassisted), 1 interception and 1 blocked kick.
- CLEVAND DOTY (Compton) completed 16 of 24 passes for 162 yards ans he carried 11 times for 94 yards and 2 TD’s.
- DUSTIN BLOUNT (Compton) caught 14 passes for 157 yards.
- REGGIE TAYLOR (Compton) carried 15 times for 93 yards.
- ANTHONY WILCOX (Compton) had 7 unassisted tackles and 1 interception.
- KYLE AUGUSTIN (West L.A.) had 9 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack and 1 hurry.
- WILL HOLLINS (West L.A.) had 8 tackles and 1 tackle for a loss.
- DAMON OLOASE (East Los Angeles) had 10 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and 1 pass breakup.
- TRAMOND WINZOR (East Los Angeles) had 8 tackles (6 unassisted), 1 tackle for loss, 1 fumble recovery and 1 pass breakup.
QB Jeremiah Masoli - 20-22 - 327 yards, 5 TDs; 16 carries for 37 yards.
WR Carlton Sanders - 5 catches, 151 yards, 3 TDs
Dejon Gomes - 4 tackles, 11-yard interception return for TD
Gerald Williams - 16 tackles
RB AARON COURTNEY, FR - RUSHED FOR 171 YARDS ON 20 CARRIES 2 TD
RB ANTHONY CONNER, FR - RUSHED FOR 146 YARDS ON 21 CARRIES 1 TD
FS DAVID SIMS, SO - 2 INT AND A FUMBLE RECOVERY
DL JOE MA’ASEIA, SO - 11 TACKLES, 1 TFL, 1 FORCED FUMBLE
LB NICK PADEN, SO - 10 TACKLES 1 TFL, A PASS BREAKUP
P TOM LUCE, SO - 7 PUNTS FOR 40.1 YARD AVG.
QB Dante Perez - 29-41, 359 yards, 3 TDs 1 interception
WR Chris Evering -13 catches, 167 yards, TD
WR Adrian Collins - 7 catches, 97 yards, TD
LB Jason Tate - 12 tackles
QB Greg Alexander - 40-57-612 yards, 6 TD passes, 1 int. - 40 completions is a new school record (he had the old mark with 38) and the yardage is a new record (he had the old mark with 512)
WR Amos Carter - 8 catches for 113 yards and 2 TD’s
WR Brandyn Reed - 7 catches for 152 yards and 3 TD’s
K Scott McKeon - 49 straight P.A.T.’s before a miss sets a new school record
Safety Terrence Simien (6-3, 200; Fresh.) - Had 14 tackles
DL Lale Talese - 3 sacks
LB Tommy Porter - 6 tackles, 1 sack, blocked punt for TD.
QB Matt Dardenne -17 of 33 for 273 yds. 2 TD.
LB Jon Vee - 7 tackles, 1 sack, recovered punt block for TD.
QB Reid Herchenbach - 18-26-175 with 2 TD, 1 INT and 25 yards rushing
Kyle Davidson and Mike Chambers played well on OL. Both are from Merced High and are freshmen.
DB Sam Toomer - 10 tackles, 3 pass breakups
LB Jon Breland - 7 tackles, 1 TLF, 2 pass breakups, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 TD
QB TOM FRATCHER - 20-29-195 yds., 2 TDs
RB JORDAN BAUDENDISTAL - 18 carries for 102, 44-yard run, 5.7 avg
RB CHRIS BROWN - 8 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 TFLs
DB DANA HENDERSON - 6 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 returned 44 yards for a TD, 1 PBU
QB Matt Jackson - 22-35-331-3 TD, no INT
WR Darius Davis - 9-159, 2 TD
WR Rebel Hall - 5-75, 1 TD
CB Jemuary Cal - 6 tackles, 2 INT
FS Ed Smith - 7 tackles, 1 INT (56 yards), 1 pass break up
LB Brendan Faubion - 6 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack
DL Dennis Fiaalii - 4 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack
KR Ryan Krueger - 2 kickoff returns for133 yards, 92-yard return for TD.
Running back Lyndon Rowells ran for 217 yards and is on track to break the college's rushing record in a season. He has already broken the record for 9 games in eight games. Leads the state in all-purpose and second to Sierra's running back in rushing.
RB Giavanni Ruffin (Fr., 6-1, 205) - rushed for 130 yards on 33 carries and 5 TDs, in upset win over Reedley College.
The FCC Rams lost a tough one 20-17. Sierra rushed 58 times and Lamon Muldrow ran 53 for 245 yards. There were three kneel-downs for -8 as time ran out.
Sophomore cornerback Lawrence Hood (5-10, 180) got the Rams off to a good start with a helmet-popping hit on a Sierra wide receiver who fumbled the catch. Hood snatched it before it bounced and then ran 65 yards along the FCC sideline for the game’s first score at 12:08. It was his fourth TD of the year (three others on INTs) and eighth for the Rams defense. Hood caused the fumble, recovered it, had three breakups and was in on 9 total tackles.
Freshman defensive lineman Reggie Brown was in on 12 tackles, including a sack for -5 yds. He also had a breakup. Two sophomore linebackers had fine performances: Derek Marten (6-0, 225) was in on 15 tackles and a break-up while Caleb Hale (6-3, 225) totaled 7 tackles including a sack for a 7-yard loss.
Pearce Cook (5-11, 170), a freshman cornerback was also in on 7 tackles, forced a fumble and snared an INT.
FCC’s defense has scored 5 TDs off picks and 4 off fumble recoveries. Overall return yds. on 11 picks is 280 (longest 53); return yds. on fumble recoveries is 267 (longest 90). Defensive scores have come in 6 of 8 games.