Few of the roughly 3,700 fans could have expected a high scoring affair in the inclement weather. At times the rain was falling hard and sideways with puddles forming on the FieldTurf surface (California football championship game story). Blinn College (Brenham, Tex.) finishes the season ranked #2 in the JCFootball.com / JC Grid-Wire Top 25. The Buccaneers used an 85-yard punt return with 15 seconds remaining to beat previously undefeated Fort Scott, 31-26, in the NJCAA's title game on December 6. How did Mt. SAC edge out Blinn for the 2009 title? The Mounties got the edge, ever so slightly, based on overall strength of schedule. As is always the case, we'd like to see a head-to-head game pitting California's best against the NJCAA's best. Congratulations to every team in the final Top 25, and to those who finished just on the cusp as well.
NATIONAL TOP 25
- Mt. San Antonio (13-1) - Beat San Mateo, 7-6 (Calif. final).
- Blinn College (11-1) - Beat Fort Scott, 31-26 (NJCAA final).
- Fort Scott (11-1) - Lost to Blinn, 31-26 (NJCAA final).
- College of San Mateo (10-2) - Lost to Mt. San Antonio, 7-6 (Calif. final).
- East Mississippi (11-1) - Beat Arizona Western, 27-24.
- Navarro (11-1) - Beat Mississippi Gulf Coast, 37-26.
- City College of San Francisco (10-1) - Beat American River, 59-0.
- Palomar (10-3) - Lost to Mt. San Antonio, 27-2 (SoCal final).
- Fullerton (10-2) - Lost to Palomar, 38-36 (3 OT; 2nd rd. playoff).
- Arizona Western (9-2) - Lost to East Mississippi, 27-24.
- Bakersfield (10-2) - Lost to Mt. San Antonio, 39-17 (2nd rd. playoff)..
- Cerritos (9-2) - Lost to Palomar, 31-17 (1st rd. playoff).
- Saddleback (9-2) - Beat Canyons, 31-20.
- Allan Hancock (9-2) - Lost to Bakersfield, 24-21 (1st rd. playoff).
- Mississippi Gulf Coast (9-3) - Lost to Navarro, 37-26.
- Butler (8-2) - No bowl.
- Grossmont (8-3) - Beat El Camino, 27-22.
- Snow (10-2) - Beat Grand Rapids, 41-37.
- El Camino (8-3) - Lost to Grossmont, 27-22.
- Butte (8-3) - Beat Sierra, 22-15.
- Grand Rapids (9-2) - Lost to Snow, 41-37.
- Foothill (8-3) - Beat San Joaquin Delta, 44-21.
- LA Harbor (9-2) - Lost to Fullerton, 49-19.
- Jones Co. (6-3) - No bowl.
- TIE Copiah-Lincoln (6-3) - No bowl.
- TIE Reedley (6-5) - Lost to San Mateo, 31-20 (NorCal final).