Tensions between China and the US are nearing the brink, as the Trump administration signals a tougher stance on trade and the South China Sea. In response, Chinese media has signaled a willingness to fight for Beijing's claims in the much-disputed region.
While Trump plans to oversee a massive military buildup of US forces, especially in the navy, China has been pushing an aggressive and far-reaching modernization of its military forces.
The infographic below shows the range of different Chinese missile platforms. Ones to note are the DF-21 "carrier killer," a version of which was specifically designed to take out US aircraft carriers at long range, and the DF-41, a nuclear-capable missile that can reach anywhere in the US in 30 minutes.
More from Business Insider
- Trump has more support from veterans, except when it comes to nuclear weapons
- Gunmen shot down a helicopter in one of Mexico's most lawless regions
- Police busted 2,000 pounds of cocaine at the gateway to Europe's drug market
- Of course notorious drug lord Pablo Escobar used to cheat while playing Monopoly with his family
- This highlight reel shows why the F-22 is the most lethal combat plane in