The Oakland A's have made several minor league roster moves this week. Below is a rundown of those moves.
- The A's released LHP Jerad Grundy and RHP Dominique Vattuone on Friday. Both pitchers had been with the Low-A Beloit Snappers. Grundy was the A's 10th-round pick in 2013. He had a 5.25 ERA in 36 innings for the Snappers this season. In 140 career minor league innings, the Kentucky alum had a 5.01 ERA. Vattuone recently joined the Snappers from short-season Vermont. The side-arming right-hander allowed six runs in nine innings for Beloit. He had one scoreless appearance for the Lake Monsters earlier in the year. Vattuone was the A's 32nd-round pick in 2013. He had a 4.14 ERA in 78.1 innings for A's minor league clubs.
- Taking the roster spots of Grundy and Vattuone in Beloit are RHP Lee Sosa and LHP Mike Fagan. Sosa, the hard-throwing right-hander, allowed two earned runs in nine innings with Vermont before his promotion. He struck-out five and walked five. Sosa split last season between Beloit and Vermont, posting a 5.16 ERA in 45.1 innings. Fagan began the year with Beloit, but was sent back to Arizona after posting a 9.22 ERA in 13.2 innings. The A's 2014 ninth-round pick had a 9:1 K:BB and allowed one run in 7.2 innings with Vermont before his latest promotion.
- Earlier this week, the A's sent newly signed RHP Parker Frazier from Triple-A Nashville to Double-A Midland. Frazier made one start for Nashville after signing with the A's, allowing 12 hits and three earned runs in 4.1 innings. Aaron Kurcz, the right-handed reliever acquired by the A's for international signing money, was activated on the Nashville roster, taking Frazier's place.
- The RockHounds had a few other transactions this week. Third baseman Ryon Healy and RHP Tim Atherton were placed on the seven-day DL on July 8th. Bobby Wahl was activated off of the DL on July 8th and threw a scoreless inning last night, striking out two. Wahl had last pitched on June 12.
- Rehabbing RHP Raul Alcantara escaped a scare this week when he had to leave a game early after being struck in the left (non-throwing) wrist by a line-drive. X-rays were negative and Ports' broadcaster Zack Bayrouty said that the team expects Alcantara to make his next start on-turn.
- The Vermont Lake Monsters added RHP Derek DeYoung to the roster on July 8th. DeYoung threw an inning that night, allowing a run. It was his first appearance since 2013. The 2012 18th-round pick injured his elbow during spring training 2014 and missed all of last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. DeYoung had a 4.22 ERA in 113 innings with Low-A Beloit in 2013.
- The A's also traded LHP Ryan Verdugo to the Los Angeles Angels for cash considerations. Verdugo was a minor league free agent signing this off-season. He had a 3.46 ERA in 41.2 innings with Nashville. Verdugo has been assigned to Triple-A Salt Lake.