Midland Crowned Second-Half Division Title Winner
The Midland RockHounds had an uncharacteristically rough night on the mound, but even an 8-7 loss to the Frisco RoughRiders couldn't prevent the RockHounds from clinching the second-half South Division title. The Corpus Christi Hooks' 11-9 loss to the San Antonio Missions brought the RockHounds' magic number to zero and got the celebration started.
The Rockhounds are 43-20 in the second half. They need one more win set a new franchise record for wins in one half.
- With September call-ups looming, there were several roster moves around the Oakland A's system on Monday. Ryan Gorton made the jump from short-season Vermont to Low-A Beloit. The former catcher has a 2.82 ERA in 22.1 innings in his first season as a pitcher. Gorton replaced LHP Jose Torres on the Snappers' roster. Torres, who moved up to High-A Stockton, has had a breakout season for Beloit. In 73.2 innings, Torres has a 2.69 ERA and 80 strike-outs against 23 walks. RHP Trevor Bayless made the jump from Stockton to Triple-A Nashville. He has a 3.83 ERA in 54 innings this season for Beloit and Stockton. Bayless has 56 strike-outs. This is his first experience above A-ball. Catcher Nick Rickles and RHP Jake Sanchez got the call up from Midland to Nashville. RHP Tim Atherton came off of the Midland disabled list, while Jeff Urlaub landed on the RockHounds' DL. Lefty Victor Veliz made the jump from the AZL A's to Nashville to fill-in. Veliz joins Tanner Peters and Jesus Zambrano as members of the AZL A's roster who have been called on to pitch for the Sounds over the past few days.
- Big league rosters expand from 25 to 40 on Tuesday. As of Monday night, one of the A's Tuesday call-ups was already with the team. Oakland has tabbed Nashville starter Cody Martin to make his first start for Oakland on Tuesday in the place of Chris Bassitt, who is dealing with right shoulder soreness. Martin was acquired by the A's from the Braves on July 2nd for international signing money. He has a 5.33 ERA in 54 innings with Nashville, but has allowed three runs or less in seven of his eight last starts.
- Sean Nolin continues to round back into form after a DL stint for right shoulder soreness. The left-hander struck-out six and allowed only one hit in 4.2 innings in the Sounds' 5-1 win over Round Rock. Nolin threw 76 pitches, 44 for strikes. Victor Veliz threw 1.1 scoreless innings in his Triple-A debut and earned the win. Joey Wendle stole two bases and went 1-for-3, while Jason Pridie had two hits.
- The Vermont Lake Monsters scored three times in the top of the 13th to earn a 5-2 win over the Aberdeen IronBirds. Steven Pallares had four hits and Skye Bolt and Brett Siddall each had three hits to pace the Lake Monsters' offense. Chris Kohler threw three scoreless innings in his third appearance back after a DL stint for a hamstring strain. James Naile threw two scoreless innings in extras to earn the win.
- James Harris and Jose Brizuela each had three hits and Mikey White had two hits, but the Beloit Snappers fell to the Kane County Cougars, 7-6. Ryan Gorton threw two scoreless innings in his first Low-A pitching appearance.