Banwart, Doolittle Join Kane County
Fourth round pick Travis Banwart and supplemental first round pick Sean Doolittle became the second and third members of the Oakland A's 2007 draft class to join the Kane County Cougars' roster. Nick Walters, who signed with the A's as a minor league free agent earlier in the year, will also be joining the Kane County roster from Vancouver.
Banwart will be making his professional debut with the Cougars. The Wichita State right-hander went 27-10 in three seasons with the Shockers. He had 260 strikeouts in 292.2 career collegiate innings.
Doolittle had been with the Vancouver Canadians before his promotion. He was hitting .283 with four RBI and a .421 OBP in 13 games for the Canadians. The first baseman was selected 41st overall by the A's this June after a strong career at the University of Virginia. He hit .301 with seven homers for the Cavaliers this season and won 22 games in three years as a pitcher for UVa, good for first place all-time for Virginia.
Walters joined the A's this season after being cut by the Chicago White Sox. He was selected by the White Sox in 2004 in the 31st round. Walters was 1-0 with a 3.18 ERA in four appearances for Vancouver this season before his promotion.
Headed the other direction are pitchers Shane Presutti and Inoel Deaza, who were both sent from Kane County to Vancouver. Deaza was 0-6 with a 6.65 ERA in 13 appearances (five starts) for the Cougars before his demotion. He was 5-5 with a 4.18 ERA in 16 starts for the Canadians in 2006.
Presutti spent much of the first half at extended spring training. He had made four relief appearances for the Cougars and had allowed five runs in 5.2 innings of work. Presutti was 1-0 with a 6.86 ERA in 14 relief appearances for Vancouver in 2006.
Left-hander Carlos Hernandez, who was a draft-and-follow signing by the A's this June, has been sent from Vancouver to Arizona. Hernandez had allowed four runs in 2.1 innings of work in his professional debut.
Right-hander Andrew Bailey, a sixth round selection in 2006, was promoted to High-A Stockton on Tuesday from Kane County. Bailey only had a 1-4 record with the Cougars this season in 10 starts and one relief appearance, but he had a 3.35 ERA and 74 strikeouts in 51 innings of work.
Bailey began the year at extended spring training after suffering an oblique strain during spring training. He made his season debut in early May and was one of the Cougars' top starters after that. Bailey struck out at least six batters in eight of his 10 starts and had double-digit strikeouts in four of those outings.
In his last start with Kane County, Bailey struck out 12 in 6.2 innings of work. The Wagner College grad had a 2.02 ERA in 13 appearances (10 starts) for Vancouver in 2006.
We have injury updates from A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman on a few of the A's rehabbing minor leaguers:
* Mike Mitchell: Mitchell is making good progress with his rehab and should be back with Triple-A Sacramento in a week to 10 days if his rehab continues without a hitch. He has pitched twice with the A's Rookie League team.
* Brad Halsey: Halsey is in Phoenix in rehab. He is on a limited throwing program and there is no timetable at the moment for his return.
* Jason Windsor: Windsor is in Sacramento rehabbing and throwing as part of a limited program. He also doesn't have a timetable for his return.
* Kevin Deaton: Deaton, who was a minor league free agent signing this winter, is scheduled begin a rehab assignment in the Arizona Rookie League next week. Deaton has missed the entire season to date. He was slated to pitch for Double-A Midland at the start of the season.
* Danny Putnam: Putnam is continuing to progress with his rehab assignment in the Arizona Rookie League. He is batting .316 with a homer in 19 at-bats for the Rookie A's and should be ready to re-join Triple-A Sacramento next week.
Other Injury News:
* Sacramento's Landon Powell and Kevin Melillo both left the River Cats' Monday night game early. Powell left the game with a sore left knee and Melillo left with a sore right wrist. Both are expected to be re-examined today.
* Kane County second baseman Larry Cobb was placed on the DL today with a lacerated groin.
Oakland A's MLN: Rosters Shift; Injury Update
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Oakland A's 2017 top-50: Miguel MercedesOur Oakland A's 2017 top-50 prospects list is out. Now find out more about the players on that list. In this piece, a close look at top-50 prospect Miguel Mercedes. Mercedes set a…
Oakland Clubhouse12:51 PM
Covey selected in the Rule 5 draftThe Oakland A's lost 2013 fourth-round pick Dylan Covey to the Chicago White Sox in the major-league portion of the Rule 5 draft. No other A's players were selected in this year's…
Oakland ClubhouseYesterday at 9:11 AM
A's 2016 AFL season in reviewKimberly Contreras reviews the 2016 Arizona Fall League season with the focus on the Oakland A's contingent.
Oakland ClubhouseWednesday at 10:20 PM
Oakland A's 2017 top-50 report: Nate MondouOur Oakland A's 2017 top-50 prospects list is out. Now find out more about the players on that list. In this piece, a close look at top-50 prospect Nate Mondou. Mondou got his…
Oakland ClubhouseWednesday at 4:32 PM