A's Prospects Power Up
The Oakland A's system hasn't put up huge power stats this season, but there were a number of A's prospects who went deep on Monday night:
- Richie Robnett pounded his 12th homer of the season in Midland's 10-1 thrashing of Arkansas. His homer was a two-run shot and he also had an RBI double, his 27th two-bagger of the year. Robnett has four extra-base hits in his last two games and 40 on the season. He was also hit by a pitch on Monday.
- Also homering for Midland on Monday were Luke Appert (3) and Vince Faison (4). Appert has eight homers total on the year between Stockton and Midland. He is batting .282/.403/.427 in his first 110 at-bats for the Rockhounds. This is Appert's first taste of Double-A. Faison had a big game on Monday, collecting two doubles along with his homer. He missed nearly 20 games this season with injury, but he has managed to use his speed in Midland when healthy. He has a team-leading seven triples and he is 10 for 11 in stolen base attempts.
- Frank Martinez homered twice for Stockton, as the Ports almost rallied from an 8-1 deficit. They wound up losing by a score of 8-7. The homers were Martinez's fifth and sixth of the season. He drove-in five runs on those two homers. The switch-hitter is batting .275 with 43 RBI in 84 games for the Ports this season.
- Justin Sellers also homered for the Ports, his third of the season. He had five all of last year for Kane County. Sellers has hit safely in nine of his last 10 games and is batting .319 over that stretch. For the month of July, Sellers has an 885 OPS in 38 at-bats.
- There weren't any homers for Vancouver on Monday, but there were some extra-base hits. Danny Hamblin and Matt Sulentic both doubled and Corey Brown tripled. Josh Horton also collected his first professional hit, a single. The double was Hamblin's ninth in 20 games. He is slugging .487 in the usually power-unfriendly Northwest League. Sulentic is also hitting for more power in the Northwest League than he did in Kane County earlier in the year. He has six extra-base hits in 66 at-bats after collecting only seven in 206 at-bats in Kane County. Brown has been showing good speed for the Canadians. He already has six doubles and three triples, as well as two stolen bases. His .500 slugging percentage is tops on the team among players with more than 10 at-bats.
- There also weren't any homers in the Arizona A's game on Monday. However, Adam Klein (triple), Franklin Hernandez (double) and Carlos Arrieche (double) all went for extra-bases. Hernandez is off to a good start for the A's Rookie team, batting .308 in his first 26 at-bats. Arrieche was making his Rookie League debut after playing with Vancouver earlier in the year. He went 2-4 on Monday for the Rookie League A's after batting only .143 in nine games for the C's. The triple was Klein's first of the year. He also stole his seventh base in eight tries.
Lots of Power Pitching, Too
Homers weren't the only story on Monday in the A's system. There were a few notable pitching performances, as well:
- Aaron Jenkins continues to dominate for Vancouver. The left-handed pitcher has been coming out of the bullpen for the Canadians and he has yet to allow an earned run or a hit in 10.2 innings. He struck out nine in four innings of relief on Monday, earning the win for the C's. He has an incredible 21 strikeouts in those 10.2 innings. Jenkins had struggled with walks during his first three appearances, but he has improved dramatically over his last two outings, walking only two in six innings. He features a plus curveball and a high-80s fastball from the left-side.
- Lefty Danny Borrell threw five no-hit innings and earned the win for Midland on Monday. Borrell walked two and struck out seven for the Rockhounds. The former Yankees prospect was making his first start of the season for Midland. He has a 3.04 ERA in 23.2 innings of work, most of which has been out of the bullpen. He has 29 strikeouts and has allowed only 14 hits this season.
- Left-hander Bobby Cramer has continued to impress since his promotion to Double-A Midland. Cramer was a starter for Stockton, but he has been coming out of the bullpen in Midland. He threw two scoreless innings of relief on Monday in Midland's win, allowing only one hit and no walks. He struck out five batters. In 3.2 innings of relief with Midland this season, Cramer has eight strikeouts against only one walk. On the season, Cramer has whiffed 49 in 48.2 innings. He had been out of baseball when the A's signed him as a free agent in May.
- Adam Thomas and Brad Kilby finished the combined two-hitter for Midland. Thomas had a perfect eighth inning and Kilby struck out three in his inning of work. Kilby has a 2.72 ERA in 36.1 innings for Midland this season and 35 strikeouts against 10 walks. Thomas has a 5.40 ERA in seven relief appearances for Midland.
- Third round pick Sam Demel has been busy since joining the Stockton Ports last week. He threw two more innings on Monday, allowing an unearned run on one hit and one walk. The former TCU closer has made four appearances since July 3rd. After allowing three earned runs in his first 1.1 innings, Demel hasn't allowed an earned run over his last 3 innings.
- Branden Dewing threw two scoreless innings of relief for Stockton on Monday, keeping the Ports close enough to almost complete the comeback. Dewing allowed a hit and no walks and he struck out three. He has a 4.63 ERA in 11.2 innings since joining the Ports from Kane County on June 11.
Oakland A's MLN: Big Homers; Lots Of K's
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Oakland A's 2017 top-50 report: Logan ShoreOur Oakland A's 2017 top-50 prospects list is out. Now find out more about the players on that list. In this piece, a close look at top-50 prospect Logan Shore. Shore had a…
Oakland Clubhouse2:06 PM
Oakland A's 2017 top-50: Skylar SzynskiOur Oakland A's 2017 top-50 prospects list is out. Now find out more about the players on that list. In this piece, a close look at top-50 prospect Skylar Szynski. Szynski joined…
Oakland ClubhouseYesterday at 10:50 AM
Oakland A's 2017 top-50: Paul BlackburnOur Oakland A's 2017 top-50 prospects list is out. Now find out more about the players on that list. In this piece, a close look at top-50 prospect Paul Blackburn. Blackburn was…
Oakland ClubhouseMonday at 10:12 AM
Oakland A's 2017 top-50: Dillon OvertonOur Oakland A's 2017 top-50 prospects list is out. Now find out more about the players on that list. In this piece, a close look at top-50 prospect Dillon Overton. Overton reached…
Oakland ClubhouseFriday at 3:29 PM