Anderson Dominates Old 'Mates
Stockton Ports left-hander Brett Anderson returned to Visalia for the first time since he was traded away from the Arizona Diamondbacks last season. Anderson, who made nine starts for the Oaks last year, had arguably his best outing of the season on Thursday. Anderson cruised through seven shut-out innings, allowing only two hits and no walks. He struck-out a season-high 10 batters. The Ports finished their road-trip with a 4-0 win over Visalia. Stockton is now 20-8 on the year.
Anderson not only established a season-high in strike-outs on Thursday, but he also completed his first outing without walking a batter. He lowered his season ERA to 2.43 and upped his record to 5-1. Anderson has struck-out 36 batters against only seven walks in 33.1 innings this season.
Josh Horton had a big game in support of Anderson. The shortstop went 3-3 with a double and a run scored. He raised his average to .296. Sean Doolittle returned to the line-up after two days off and went 2-4 to up his average to .337. Darryl Lawhorn also had two hits and an RBI. He is batting .327 on the year. Jermaine Mitchell drove-in a run and stole his fifth base of the season.
Chris Farley came in for Anderson in the eighth inning and he finished off the shutout with two scoreless innings of relief. Farley allowed only one hit and struck-out three. Ports' pitchers have struck-out 285 and have walked only 90 in 249.2 innings this season.
- On July 29th, the Kane County Cougars will travel north to Chicago to take on the Peoria Chiefs in what is believed to be the first minor-league game at Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs. Peoria, who will be the home team, is the Low-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. Former Cubs Hall-of-Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg is the manager of the Chiefs. The game will take place at 7:05 pm CST and tickets are on-sale through the Cubs' official website www.cubs.com.
- According to A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman, outfielder Aaron Cunningham is getting closer to returning from his fractured wrist, which he sustained during spring training. Cunningham was one of six players acquired in the Dan Haren trade from Arizona. He had an outstanding spring training before the injury.
- Although the news is good on Cunningham, it isn't as good for two of the A's other outfield prospects: Grant Desme and Javier Herrera. Desme is struggling with soreness in his wrist and shoulder and he has yet to start baseball activities. Herrera is also on the sidelines with soreness in his legs.
- Infielder Danny Hamblin is making his way back on the field. He is playing in extended spring training and getting back into baseball shape.
- First baseman Steve Kleen, who hit .272 for the Stockton Ports last season, will miss the entire 2008 season with an undisclosed injury.
- Sacramento catcher Landon Powell is beginning to heat up at the plate. The switch-hitter homered for the second consecutive game on Thursday. He went yard twice in the River Cats' 5-3 win over Omaha after homering once on Wednesday. Powell has six homers on the season in only 47 at-bats. Despite a .213 batting average, Powell had a 962 OPS.
- Midland right-hander Vince Mazzaro continued his outstanding start to the season. He struck-out a season-high 11 in 6.2 innings for the Rockhounds on Thursday in a 6-5 win over Corpus Christi. Mazzaro allowed two runs on six hits and he walked one. He has a 2.78 ERA in six starts this season.
- Tom Everidge hit his fifth homerun of the season in support of Mazzaro on Thursday. The first baseman went 2-3 and added a double along with the homer and four RBIs. He has 22 RBIs on the season.
Oakland A's MLN: Anderson Cruises In Return
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
A's claim Soto from CubsThe Oakland A's claimed left-hander Giovanni Soto off of waivers from the Chicago Cubs, the club announced on Wednesday.
Oakland Clubhouse12:13 PM
Oakland A's Instructs video: Dakota ChalmersExclusive video of Oakland A's prospect Dakota Chalmers pitching at the recently completed A's 2016 fall Instructional League.
Oakland Clubhouse11:54 AM
MLB Draft Top 50 Prospects: 21-30Taking a look to the future, Scout.com and it's draft analyst, Taylor Blake Ward, is giving you an in depth look at the Top 50 MLB Draft Prospects. In a continuing article, Ward…
Scouting Baseball2:17 AM
Eric Martins on the Nashville SoundsThe Nashville Sounds fielded one of the youngest everyday line-ups in the Pacific Coast League this season, but that didn't stop them from being one of the best offensive teams in…
Oakland ClubhouseYesterday at 3:43 PM
2016 Year in Review: A's Draft Class, part 4How did the Oakland A's 2016 draft class fare during their pro debuts? We take a look at the class, 10 rounds at a time. Last up, picks from rounds 31-40.
Oakland ClubhouseMonday at 2:35 PM