With nearly two months gone in the minor league regular season, the four Oakland A's affiliates saw significant shifts in their rosters over the past few days. Injuries opened up a number of spots, which necessitated moves throughout the system.
Over the past week, the Kane County Cougars have welcomed a number of new players. On May 20th, towering right-hander Brent Lysander joined the club from extended spring training. The 6'7'' Sonoma State alum has made three appearances since he joined the team, two relief appearances and one spot start in a doubleheader. He has allowed four earned runs in 6.2 innings with seven strike-outs and three walks. Lysander, who had a 3.35 ERA in 51 innings for short-season Vancouver last season, is a native of the Bay Area and he is the tallest player on the team.
Right-hander Ryne Tacker also joined the Cougars recently. The Rice alum made his professional debut with the Cougars on Monday. He allowed three runs in one inning with two walks and two strike-outs. Tacker, like Lysander, was a 2007 draft pick, but unlike Lysander, he signed too late to debut in 2007.
The Cougars also welcomed three position players this weekend, all three of whom were 2007 draft picks. Danny Hamblin made his much anticipated 2008 debut. He had an outstanding professional debut season in 2007, hitting 11 homeruns in 265 at-bats in 68 games for the short-season Vancouver Canadians. Hamblin, who spent the start of the year in extended spring training rehabbing from injury, has appeared in two games for Kane County. He has one hit and three walks in five official at-bats with an RBI for Kane County and he has played at third base in both games. Infielder Justin Frash and catcher Dusty Napoleon also joined the Cougars recently. Napoleon has appeared in four games, collecting two hits and a walk in 13 at-bats. Frash has yet to appear in a game since joining the team on Sunday.
The Cougars have a crowded disabled list at the moment. Currently, Kane County has four players on the shelf: outfielder Toddric Johnson, catcher Matt Smith, third baseman Christian Vitters and shortstop Michael Richard. Smith and Johnson are the latest players to be added to the Kane County DL. Catcher/DH Jake Smith and infielder Walter Correa were sent back to extended spring training.
The Stockton Ports added reliever Jose Guzman from extended spring training on Friday. The right-hander had a 5.30 ERA in 93.1 innings between Stockton and Vancouver last season. Guzman made 17 starts in 2007, but he is in the Stockton bullpen for now. He threw two-thirds of an inning on Friday and didn't allow base-runner.
Midland welcomed two players over the past few days. Over the weekend, reliever Scott Moore was promoted from Low-A Kane County to Double-A Midland. The right-hander allowed four runs in three innings in his Double-A debut on Monday in the Rockhounds' 17-6 win.
On Tuesday, Midland welcomed back outfielder Danny Putnam. Putnam began the year with Midland, but was promoted to Triple-A Sacramento during the first week of the season when Jeff Fiorentino was injured. With Fiorentino back with Sacramento and Travis Buck being demoted to Triple-A from the big leagues, Putnam was the odd man out in terms of playing time. Over the past 10 days, Putnam had appeared in only four games for the River Cats. He was having a strong season for Sacramento, with eight homers and an 841 OPS in 38 games.
In addition to losing Putnam, Triple-A Sacramento also welcomed reliever Jay Marshall this weekend. Marshall, who spent all of last season with the A's, was off to a great start this season with Double-A Midland at the time of his promotion. The submarine lefty had allowed only three earned runs in 32.1 innings for Midland this season. He had struck-out 21 and walked seven. Marshall has appeared in two games with Sacramento since he was promoted, throwing two scoreless innings and earning a save.
Other News And Notes:
- First baseman Tom Everidge's 10 RBI-game for Midland on Monday was a franchise-record performance. Everidge had three homers in the game, including a grand-slam. Everidge has 12 homers and 42 RBIs this season, his first full season at Double-A.
- A's third baseman Eric Chavez resumed his rehab with Sacramento on Tuesday after getting a couple of days off. Chavez was the DH for Sacramento in the River Cats' 5-0 loss to Portland on Tuesday. He went 0-2 with two walks. Chavez was eligible to be reinstated to the A's roster today, but he is expected to continue his rehab for awhile longer.
- Sacramento outfielder Travis Buck has 14 hits and six walks over his last seven games for the River Cats. Buck has raised his average to .321 and his OPS to 847.
- Midland infielder Brian Snyder has nine RBIs, nine hits and four walks in six games since returning from the disabled list.
- Midland outfielder/DH Joe Gaetti has two homers and nine RBIs in eight games since returning to the Rockhounds from Triple-A Sacramento. In 13 games for Midland this season, Gaetti has a .364 average with 14 RBIs. In 23 games for Midland and Sacramento combined, Gaetti has a .359 average with seven homers in 26 RBIs and an 1102 OPS.
- Kane County outfielder Shane Keough has a .342 average over his last 10 games. Keough is batting .294 in 41 games this season for Kane County with a .392 OPS.
Oakland A's MLN: Moves And Notes
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Oakland A's MLN: Barreto's big dayFranklin Barreto broke out of a "slump" in the Arizona Fall League, and the Oakland A's re-signed two more minor league free agents.
Oakland ClubhouseTuesday at 8:35 PM
2016 Year in Review: A's draft class, p2How did the Oakland A's 2016 draft class fare during their pro debuts? We take a look at the class, 10 rounds at a time. Second up, picks from rounds 11-20.
Oakland ClubhouseTuesday at 12:04 PM
Oakland A's set 2017 MLB coaching staffThe Oakland A's announced their 2017 major-league coaching staff on Tuesday.
Oakland ClubhouseTuesday at 9:46 AM
MLB Draft Top 50 Prospects: 31-40Scout.com is giving you a look to the future, and the top prospects for the 2017 MLB Amateur Draft. In the second edition of the top 50 MLB Draft Prospects breakdown, Taylor Blake…
Scouting BaseballMonday at 7:43 PM