The Oakland A's have invested millions of dollars in signing bonuses for prospects from Latin America over the past 12 months. The A's minor league braintrust will get a chance to see a number of the A's newest Latin American talent up close starting on October 20th at the A's Dominican Instructional League camp.
Mexican League legend and A's roving infield instructor Juan Navarette will oversee the camp, which begins on October 20th. There will be a focus on strength and conditioning at the camp. A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman will spend time at the camp, as well as Director of Minor League Operations Ted Polakowski, Minor League Pitching Coordinator Gil Patterson and Minor League Hitting Coordinator Greg Sparks. Patterson will spend a lot of time working with right-hander Michael Inoa, who signed a record-breaking $4.25 million signing bonus with the A's this July.
The camp will give the A's minor league braintrust a chance to see Inoa and some of the A's other Latin American bonus babies in person, including Jose Sayegh, Diego Ledezma, Robin Rosario, Franklin Contreras, Jensi Peralta and Omar Duran. The A's have spent more than $5 million in signing bonuses for Latin American prospects since the end of the 2007 season.
Other News And Notes
- Midwest League post-season all-star Larry Cobb will be rehabbing his knees this off-season, according to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. The infielder/outfielder had a career season for the Kane County Cougars despite the sore knees, hitting .273 with 13 homers, 70 RBIs and 19 stolen bases. Cobb told the paper that he has strained meniscus in his left knee and patella tendinitis in the right knee. He is going to rehab both knee problems and isn't expected to have to undergo surgery.
- Corey Brown, Chris Carter, Sam Demel and the North Shore Honu are off to a slow start in the Hawaiian Baseball League. Brown is batting only .158 with an RBI in five games, while Carter is hitting .176 in five games, although he has walked six times. Demel has thrown two scoreless appearances, but he allowed two runs in 1.1 innings in his third outing. Overall, he has allowed two runs in four innings with two walks, two strike-outs and four hits allowed. The Honu are 1-4 to start the season.
- A's rookie reliever Brad Ziegler is one of the candidates for the DHL Delivery Man of the Year award. Fan can vote for the A's right-hander on MLB.com at this link: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/dhl/2008/award.jsp.
- West Oakland's historic Ernie Raimondi Park will celebrate its year-long, multi-million dollar renovation on Sunday, October 5. The Oakland A's Community Fund donated $40,000 towards the project. The park is one of the five most-used parks in the city. The celebration will include appearances by Shooty Babitt and Bip Roberts.
- There were plenty of teams who changed minor league affiliates over the last few weeks, but the Oakland A's will return to all of their affiliate cities next season. Sacramento could have a new rival, as the Tucson Sidewinders are moving closer to the River Cats and are headed to Reno, where they will be known as the Reno Aces.
Oakland A's MLN: Dominican Instructs
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Beyond the A's 2017 top-50 prospects: PsWe recently ranked the top-50 prospects in the Oakland A's system, but those 50 are hardly the only players worth watching in the A's organization. We considered several other…
Oakland ClubhouseYesterday at 10:28 AM
Photos from A's March 22 match-upThe Oakland A's defeated the Chicago White Sox, 5-3, in a March 22 spring match-up at Camelback Ranch. Kimberly Contreras snapped photos of several A's prospects who suited up for…
Oakland ClubhouseThursday at 11:27 AM
Oakland A's MLN: Affiliate rosters for 3/22With more than a week of games in the books, Oakland A's minor league spring training camp is in full swing. What affiliates have A's prospects been playing with? Which players are…
Oakland ClubhouseWednesday at 3:42 PM
Oakland A's MLN: Early camp standoutsWe caught-up briefly with Oakland A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman to find out who the early standouts have been in A's minor league camp. The Midland RockHounds…
Oakland ClubhouseMonday at 8:58 PM
A's re-assign several top prospectsThe Oakland A's re-assigned several of their top prospects to minor league camp over the weekend.
Oakland ClubhouseSunday at 8:42 PM