The Oakland A's have re-signed minor league free agent Archie Gilbert, OaklandClubhouse.com has learned. The speedy outfielder was a minor league free agent signing of Oakland before the 2008 season. He spent the year with the High-A Stockton Ports and hit .278 with seven homers, 35 stolen bases and a .364 OBP. Gilbert helped to lead the Ports to a California League championship and he was named the team's post-season MVP.
Gilbert is a Bay Area native who attended Cal-State East Bay. He spent time in the Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox chains before signing with Oakland last season. The right-handed hitter will likely get his first crack at Double-A next season.
Gilbert played in a team-high 119 games for Stockton. Mostly the team's lead-off hitter, he finished first on the team in stolen bases and fifth in on-base percentage. Gilbert walked 55 times and struck-out only 61 times in 478 at-bats. He had two hitting streaks of at least 20 games last season.
News And Notes
* Josh Donaldson has a seven-game hitting streak and his average has risen to .327 for the Arizona Fall League's Phoenix Desert Dogs. Donaldson has driven-in seven runs during the streak. He has 11 RBIs in 16 games for the AFL season.
* Phoenix teammate Sean Doolittle is batting .385 with four homers and 11 RBIs over his last 10 AFL games. He has a 5:9 BB:K ratio over that stretch. On the AFL season, Doolittle is hitting .301 with an AFL-leading six homeruns. He has driven home 17.
* Phoenix reliever Jeff Gray has allowed only one hit over seven AFL innings this fall. In his last outing, he threw two perfect innings with one strike-out. After walking three in his first three innings, Gray has walked only one over his last four.
* Phoenix closer Andrew Carignan picked up his third save of the AFL season on Saturday and struck-out two in one inning of work. He has struck-out eight in his past three innings of work and 11 over seven innings for the season, with only three walks.
* Chris Carter appears to be working his way out of his winter league slump with the Hawaiian Winter League's North Shore Honu. The first baseman has a five-game hitting streak and he has walked in six consecutive games. Carter has raised his average back above the Mendoza line and is now hitting .222. Despite the low average, he is still sporting an impressive .374 OBP in 21 games.
* North Shore teammate Corey Brown has a four-game hitting streak for the Honu. He has hit a double in each of his past two games.
* North Shore reliever Brett Hunter recovered from a disastrous outing on October 28th (five runs in one-third of an inning) to throw a combined 2.2 scoreless innings over his next two outings. The hard-throwing right-hander has struck-out seven in four innings. Taking out the October 28th outing, Hunter hasn't allowed a hit and has allowed only a walk in 3.2 innings of work.
* Jesus Guzman continued his torrid winter ball play with a 5-for-5 performance for the Caracas Leones of the Venezuelan Winter League on Sunday. He is batting .438 with a 1261 OPS in 17 games.
* Caracas teammate Gregorio Petit has a nine-game hitting streak for the Leones and he is now batting .356 in 16 games. Petit has eight doubles and seven RBIs.
* Leones outfielder Javier Herrera hasn't played regularly for Caracas, but he is making the most of his playing time. He collected hits in two pinch-hit appearances late last week and went 1-3 with two RBIs and a walk on Sunday. He is batting .292 with a triple in 24 at-bats.
* A's outfielder Rajai Davis has a six-game hitting streak for Caribes de Anzoategui of the VWL. He stole two bases on Sunday to raise his total to seven in seven tries in 14 games.
* Reliever Arnold Leon has thrown 4.1 scoreless innings in a row for the Tomateros de Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League. The 20-year-old right-hander has a 3.24 ERA with six strike-outs in 8.1 innings for the season.
Oakland A's MLN: Gilbert Staying Put
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Oakland A's top-50 mid-season review: 10-1During the off-season, we named our top-50 prospects in the Oakland A's system. Now that we have passed the midway point of the season, we thought it would be a good time to check…
Oakland ClubhouseYesterday at 4:20 PM
Bruce Maxwell to make his big league debutThe Oakland A's continue their youth movement, promote catcher Bruce Maxwell to the big leagues. Maxwell will be making his major league debut.
Oakland ClubhouseSaturday at 10:47 AM
Oakland A's top-50 mid-season review: 20-11During the off-season, we named our top-50 prospects in the Oakland A's system. Now that we have passed the midway point of the season, we thought it would be a good time to check…
Oakland ClubhouseFriday at 1:30 PM
Oakland A's MLN: Strong debutsThere were some strong pitching debuts for players at new levels on Thursday night.
Oakland ClubhouseFriday at 9:36 AM
After ‘whirlwind’, Healy settling in with A’sOAKLAND - Ryon Healy's rise from Double-A to the Major Leagues took only three months. Now six games into his big league career, Healy is working hard to continue his impressive…
Oakland ClubhouseThursday at 10:29 AM