This week marks the first full week of minor league spring training in Oakland A's camp, as position players reported to Papago Park on Sunday. We touched base with Oakland A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman, who gave us some progress reports from the first few days of camp.
* Matt Sulentic: Over the past few years, Sulentic has become known for his rigorous off-season work-out programs, which have included a variety of activities, including boxing. Lieppman noted that Sulentic "looks to have improved his speed following a rigorous off-season training program." The A's 2006 third-round pick hit .288 with seven homers and 21 stolen bases (30 chances) in 113 games for Double-A Midland last season.
* Max Stassi: The A's catching phenom made a strong impression on the A's brass during his stay in major league camp earlier this spring and he has carried over that impressive play into minor league camp. According to Lieppman, Stassi has been throwing and receiving well behind the plate in intrasquad games.
* Michael Ynoa: Ynoa pitched an inning in an intrasquad game. Lieppman noted that the Dominican right-hander had good life on his fastball and a sharp curveball.
* Sean Doolittle: Doolittle is in camp and is working out, but isn't yet 100 percent recovered from his off-season knee surgery to correct a torn patella, according to Lieppman.
* Andrew Carignan: Carignan is in camp and following his throwing program and has yet to suffer any set-backs, according to Lieppman. Carignan missed nearly all of last season with right elbow/forearm issues.
* Dusty Coleman: According to Lieppman, the infielder is progressing with his rehab and should be hitting within a week. Coleman had surgery on a broken wrist this off-season.
* Brett Tomko: Lieppman also indicated that the veteran Tomko's rehab from a nerve problem in his throwing arm will take him into extended spring training and there is no timetable for his return to the mound.
Oakland A's MLN: Early Days Of Camp
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Oakland A's MLN: Homers aplentyOakland A’s affiliates have shown plenty of power this season, and that continued on Thursday night. We review the night’s action in the latest edition of Oakland A’s Minor League…
Stockton Notes: Ports break streakThe Stockton Ports finally got back into the win column on Tuesday night. We check-in with the Oakland A’s High-A affiliate.
10 A's prospects deserving of a promotionWith the Oakland A's struggling, the time to commit fully to a rebuild could be coming. Movement at the top of the A's system would free up spots at lower levels for deserving…
Oakland A’s MLN: Changes comingThe Oakland A’s failed to get into the win column as an organization on Sunday. They will also be making several changes to their rosters in Triple-A and Double-A in the coming…