This week marks the first full week of minor league spring training in Oakland A's camp, as position players reported to Papago Park on Sunday. We touched base with Oakland A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman, who gave us some progress reports from the first few days of camp.
* Matt Sulentic: Over the past few years, Sulentic has become known for his rigorous off-season work-out programs, which have included a variety of activities, including boxing. Lieppman noted that Sulentic "looks to have improved his speed following a rigorous off-season training program." The A's 2006 third-round pick hit .288 with seven homers and 21 stolen bases (30 chances) in 113 games for Double-A Midland last season.
* Max Stassi: The A's catching phenom made a strong impression on the A's brass during his stay in major league camp earlier this spring and he has carried over that impressive play into minor league camp. According to Lieppman, Stassi has been throwing and receiving well behind the plate in intrasquad games.
* Michael Ynoa: Ynoa pitched an inning in an intrasquad game. Lieppman noted that the Dominican right-hander had good life on his fastball and a sharp curveball.
* Sean Doolittle: Doolittle is in camp and is working out, but isn't yet 100 percent recovered from his off-season knee surgery to correct a torn patella, according to Lieppman.
* Andrew Carignan: Carignan is in camp and following his throwing program and has yet to suffer any set-backs, according to Lieppman. Carignan missed nearly all of last season with right elbow/forearm issues.
* Dusty Coleman: According to Lieppman, the infielder is progressing with his rehab and should be hitting within a week. Coleman had surgery on a broken wrist this off-season.
* Brett Tomko: Lieppman also indicated that the veteran Tomko's rehab from a nerve problem in his throwing arm will take him into extended spring training and there is no timetable for his return to the mound.
Oakland A's MLN: Early Days Of Camp
Oakland Clubhouse Top Stories
Photos from A's March 22 match-upThe Oakland A's defeated the Chicago White Sox, 5-3, in a March 22 spring match-up at Camelback Ranch. Kimberly Contreras snapped photos of several A's prospects who suited up for…
Oakland ClubhouseYesterday at 11:27 AM
Oakland A's MLN: Affiliate rosters for 3/22With more than a week of games in the books, Oakland A's minor league spring training camp is in full swing. What affiliates have A's prospects been playing with? Which players are…
Oakland ClubhouseWednesday at 3:42 PM
Oakland A's MLN: Early camp standoutsWe caught-up briefly with Oakland A's Director of Player Development Keith Lieppman to find out who the early standouts have been in A's minor league camp. The Midland RockHounds…
Oakland ClubhouseMonday at 8:58 PM
A's re-assign several top prospectsThe Oakland A's re-assigned several of their top prospects to minor league camp over the weekend.
Oakland ClubhouseSunday at 8:42 PM