* Jarrod Saltalamacchia has left his team in the Arizona Fall League. He injured his groin in mid-October running sprints in the outfield and the Braves want him to simply rest the remainder of the winter. He had also slightly strained his hamstring overcompensating for his groin injury. Salty Dog made a great impression in Arizona hitting .565 in his six games with three home runs and 12 RBI, five walks, and two strikeouts.
* Also in the AFL, J.C. Holt is doing very well. The second baseman is hitting .480 in his five games, 12-for-25 so far with a home run.
* Josh Burrus has four stolen bases in the AFL and three home runs. His average is .255.
* Yunel Escobar continues to make an impression with a .360 average, eight RBI, and two stolen bases. Escobar has played six games at second base and six games at shortstop.
* The Braves pitchers in the AFL are not doing well. Will Startup has a 16.88 ERA in five games, Sean White a 9.35 ERA in three starts, Joey Devine an ERA of 9.00 in two games, and Anthony Lerew a 5.40 ERA in seven relief appearances. White has walked nine batters in 8.2 innings.
* Eric Campbell has played nine games at second base and four at third base in the Hawaiian League. 'Soup' is hitting .246 with a home run and seven RBI.
* Campbell's teammates in Hawaii are Van Pope, struggling at the plate with a .172 average, and Isaiah Ka'aihue, who is hitting only .214. But catcher Clint Sammons is doing well in Hawaii, hitting .333 in 11 games.
* Willy Aybar is off to a good start after six games in the Dominican Winter League. Aybar is hitting .364 with two RBI in 22 at bats.
* Kelvin Villa is the only pitcher in the Dominican. He's not allowed an earned run in two relef outings.
* Gregor Blanco, who might get a 40-man roster spot in a few weeks when the rosters are set, is hitting .316 in Venezuela in 38 at bats.
* Manny Acosta, just placed on the 40-man a few weeks ago, is getting lit up so far in the VWL. He's got an ERA of 21.00 in four games, with six walks in three innings.
* Arthur Santos, a six-year free agent who was with Myrtle Beach and Mississippi last year, has a 3.86 ERA in his first four games.
* Moises Hernandez has struggled in his first two starts in the VWL with a 5.87 ERA. Moises has allowed five earned runs in 7.2 innings, with two walks, and five strikeouts.
* Paul Bush has started two of the three games he appeared in the VWL. He has an ERA of 1.00 in nine innings.
Winter League Update
Atlanta Dugout Top Stories
Braves expected to pursue Dickey this winterR.A. Dickey is among the veteran pitchers the Atlanta Braves are looking at heading into the offseason.
Hardball Scoop12:52 PM
Toronto expected to exercise option on GrilliJust as the city had figured, veteran right-hander Jason Grilli is expected to return to Toronto for 2017.
Hardball ScoopSunday at 2:47 PM
Braves sign Sam Freeman to minor-league dealSam Freeman has found a new home for next season, as reports indicate that Freeman has signed with the Atlanta Braves in a minor league deal.
Hardball ScoopFriday at 2:08 PM
MLB Ballpark Experience RankingsThe Stadium Journey staff fanned out to all 30 MLB ballparks to establish this year’s rankings. Each stadium was evaluated based on our FANFARE scale which includes 1) an…
Stadium JourneyWednesday at 8:27 AM