Stats are through games of October 30th
Aguilas Cibaenas –
Aguilas played five games this week with two postponed and went 4-1. Audry Perez remains out of action while recuperating from his right knee injury.
- Luis De La Cruz: There was finally a De La Cruz sighting on Wednesday, when he played a key role in the Aguilas' 4-3 victory. The Cibaenas' starting catcher reached base in the seventh and had a pinch runner come in for him. De La Cruz took over in the top of the eighth and caught two frames. He singled to left to kick off the bottom of the ninth and eventually scored the winning run when the opposition's first baseman threw the ball away on a subsequent play.
- Audry Perez: out with a right knee injury
- Oscar Taveras: started all five of the Cibaenas' games and had another excellent week at the plate. Taveras was the right fielder, batting sixth, for three of Aguilas' first four contests and was the designated hitter in the fourth game. Taveras was moved into the clean-up slot on the 30th where he had yet another multi-hit game. He went .450/.450/.550/1.000, 9-for-20, with a triple and two runs scored with a .474 BABIP. Taveras stole a base and struck out only once.
Season-to-date: .395/.425/.658/1.083, 38 AB, 15 H, 2 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 7 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB, 5 SO, 2 SB, 0 CS, .419 BABIP
Gigantes de Cibao –
The Gigantes had four games and went 3-1 with three postponements.
- Ronny Gil: His only appearance this week came as a pinch runner on the 30th in a 9-4 extra-inning win. Gil entered the game in the 11th inning of a contest knotted at four-all when Cibao's catcher opened the frame with a single. De La Cruz promptly stole second after the substitution and scored the go-ahead run on a double.
Season-to-date: .750/.750/.750/1.500, 4 AB, 3 H, 2 R, 2 RBI, 0 BB, 0 SO, 1 SB, 0 CS
Leones del Escogido –
Escogido went 1-3 this week with three games postponed due to rain.
- Starlin Rodriguez: did not play
Stats are through games of October 31st.
Caneros de Los Mochis –
The Caneros went 4-2 this week which replicates their record for the previous week.
- Jermaine Curtis: Remained on the Inactive Reserve list and did not play.
Season-to-date: .167/.192/.208/.401, 24 AB, 4 H, 1 2B, 1 R, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .190 BABIP
Venados de Mazatlan –
Mazatlan went 2-4 this past week for the third consecutive period with a losing record.
- Nick Additon: took the loss in a start in which he gave up nine hits and a free pass in 4.1 innings. Eight of the nine hits were singles and Additon benefited from three double plays that held the damage to three runs, two earned, on 86 pitches, 55 for strikes. The lefty fanned two, had six ground outs and one fly out.
Season-to-date: 3.68 ERA/2.65 FIP, 3 G, 3 GS, 14.2 IP, 17 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 0 HR, 1 HB, 3 BB, 10 SO, 1.36 WHIP, .354 BABIP, .298 BAA.
The big change in the Venezuelan League this week is that Aragua added Eduardo Sanchez to the active roster. He has not yet made an appearance, unfortunately. As has already been reported here, St. Louis added reliever Jorge Rondon to the 40-man roster on the 29th and he had a fairly effective week for the Tigres. Stats are through the games on October 31st.
Caribes de Anzoategui –
The Caribes went 3-3 for the week, which is the same result as their prior period.
- Ildemaro Vargas: did not appear in any of Anzoategui's games this week.
Season-to-date: 5 G, 2 AB, 1 H, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SO, .500/.500/.1.000/1.500
Tigres de Aragua –
Aragua was winless this week, going 0-5 for an overall record of 5-11.
- Jose Garcia: did not play for the second straight week.
Season-to-date: .000/.250/.000/.250, 3 AB, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS.
- Jorge Rondon: made three relief appearances for Aragua, tossing three innings in all. His only hit yielded was a solo shot that was also the only run given up. Rondon fanned two while not issuing a base-on-balls. Twice he entered the game with two runners aboard and two outs. Each time he recorded the third out without allowing a runner to cross home. He had a 3.00 ERA, 6.20 FIP, 0.33 WHIP and held opposing batters to a .111 average.
Season-to-date: 3.86 ERA/6.77 FIP, 6 G, 0 GS, 7 IP, 6 H, 3 R/ER, 2 HR, 1 HB, 2 BB, 5 SO, 1.14 WHIP, .211 BABIP, .231 BAA
Tiburones de La Guaira –
- Dail Villanueva's time with the big club was brief as La Guaira sent him to the Venezuelan Parallel League on the 29th. He made no further appearances with the Tiburones before his transfer.
Cardenales de Lara –
Lara went 4-1 this week which flipped around a dismal 1-3 record for the previous period.
- Richard Castillo: He was credited with a victory in only appearance on the 27th. Castillo entered the fourth inning with his squad up 2-1 and a run already across for the opposition. There were runners at second and third with two outs. Castillo coaxed a 4-3 ground out to quash the uprising. He tossed a perfect fifth with a swinging strikeout, 6-3 ground out and a bunt out back to the pitcher.
Season-to-date: 4.26 ERA/6.20 FIP, 5 G, 0 GS, 6.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R/ER, 1 HR, 0 HB, 3 BB, 3 SO, 1.58 WHIP, .286 BABIP, .280 BAA
Bravos de Margarita –
Margarita went 1-4 the week after starting the season 5-0 then going 3-2 last week.
- Silfredo Garcia: was uneven in three relief appearances as he gave up his first earned runs of the season. Garcia tossed a clean 1.1 innings on the 26th as he faced the minimum with a strikeout. The 28th saw a rough outing by the righty when he yielded two runs, earned, on three hits and a walk in 0.1 plus innings. Garcia came into a scoreless seventh with a runner at third and two outs. An infield single to third brought the go-ahead tally across that was followed by a single to right. Garcia got the third out on a grounder back to the pitcher. He began the eighth by coughing up a triple then issuing a free pass that finished his day. Garcia was replaced by former Cardinals' farmhand Kristhiam Linares who yielded a run-scoring single to the only batter he faced. The final runner charged to Garcia was out at home on a later play. Garcia bounced back on the 31st when he froze two inherited runners with a 4-3 ground out by the only batter he faced. For the week batters hit .333 against him in two innings. He had a 2.00 WHIP with a .375 BABIP.
Season-to-date: 2.70 ERA/3.65 FIP, 7 G, 0 GS, 6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R/ER, 0 HR, 0 HB, 3 BB, 3 SO, 1.35 WHIP, .300 BABIP, .261 BAA
Reliever Dail Villanueva joined the Parallel League this week, pitching for La Guaira.
The Bravos went 1-1 since the last report. Stats as of October 27th.
- Ismael Brito: Brito's sole appearance was on the 25th. He entered the eighth inning with his squad down 4-3, a runner on first with two outs. Brito struck out the only batter he faced swinging, but not before the runner on first swiped second.
Season-to-date: 0.00 ERA/4.70 FIP, 3 G, 0 GS, 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R/ER, 0 HR, 0 HB, 3 BB, 2 SO, 1.20 WHIP, .167 BABIP, .125 BAA
- Breyvic Valera: He was the starting shortstop in both of the Bravos' games. Valera went .250/.333/.250/.583, 2-for-8 with a walk and a run scored. He was one for two in stolen base attempts and did not strike out. Garcia had a .250 BABIP.
Season-to-date: .429/.467/.429/.896, 14 AB, 3 R, 6 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 0 SO, 3 SB, 1 CS, .429 BABIP, 2 E
Caracas was a perfect 3-0. Stats as of October 28th.
- Gerwuins Velazco: Velazco was Caracas' starting first baseman on the 26th. His only hit in four at bats as the seven hitter was a two-run double in the ninth that broke a 2-2 tie. Velazco advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a ground out. Defensively, he was charged with an error that eventually led to an unearned run.
Season-to-date: .200/.273/.250/.523, 20 AB, 3 R, 4 H, 1 2B, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 3 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .235 BABIP, 3 E
Caribes went 1-1 for the period. Stats as of October 27th.
- Ronnierd Garcia: He started both of the Caribes' games, once at third and the other as the designated hitter. Garcia batted seventh in both games, going 1-for-5 with two runs batted in and two strikeouts. Garcia was hit by a pitch in the seventh inning in Friday's contest and was replaced by a pinch runner.
Season-to-date: .114/.179/.200/.379, 35 AB, 2 R, 4 H, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 1 BB, 12 SO, 0 SB, 1 CS, .130 BABIP, 3 E
- Alirio Negrette: did not appear.
Season-to-date: 2.00 ERA/6.31 FIP, 3 G, 3 GS, 9 IP, 4 H, 2 R/ER, 1 HR, 1 HB, 6 BB, 3 SO, 1.11 WHIP, .111 BABIP, .129 BAA
- Cesar Valera: started at short on the 26th and hit sixth just ahead of Ronnierd Garcia. Valera singled home one runner and scored another in a 6-4 loss. He went 1-for-4 with a strikeout.
Season-to-date: .357/.375/.643/1.018, 18 AB, 4 R, 6 H, 2 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 6 RBI, 1 BB, 5 SO, 2 SB, 0 CS, .429 BABIP, 1 E
La Guaira –
La Guaira had two ties. Stats as of October 27th.
- Anderson Gerdel: Gerdel relieved former Cardinals' minor league pitcher Ramon Ulacio in the sixth inning of the October 26th game after the latter had given up a game-tying run and loaded the bases with one out. Gerdel induced a double play to keep the score intact. The right-hander created his own mess in the seventh when he allowed a lead-off single immediately followed by a double that put runners at second and third with none out. Gerdel wiggled out of the jam via a strikeout, a foul out to third and a fly out to center with an intentional free pass proceeding the third out.
Season-to-date: 1.12 ERA/3.20 FIP, 3 G, 1 GS, 9.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 1 HB, 4 BB, 9 SO, 0.93 WHIP, .208 BABIP, .152 BAA
- Dail Villanueva: Villanueva was transferred to the Parallel League on October 29th so stats are not yet available for him.
Zulia lost both of the games reported since last week's notebook. Stats are as of October 27th.
- Jose Gomez: Gomez was the starting catcher for Zulia on the 26th. He went 0-for-2 with two walks batting out of the seven hole.
Season-to-date: .300/.462/.600/1.062, 10 AB, 1 R, 3 H, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 3 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .333 BABIP, 1 E
© 2012 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.