Stats are through the games of January 22nd.
Perth Heat –
Perth (21-21) traveled to Brisbane, where they won one and lost three. The Heat slid into fourth, a game behind their hosts and three off the lead.
- Adam Melker: Melker remains on the Reserve List and did not participate in the series.
Season-to-date: .247/.354/.358/.712, 81 AB, 20 R, 20 H, 2 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 11 BB, 17 SO, 1 SB, 0 CS, 3 HBP, .297 BABIP
Sydney Blue Sox –
Sydney (24-18) headed for Canberra to battle the Cavalry for sole possession of first place. The Blue Sox ended up trading wins and losses to go 2-2 and remain in a tie at the top of the standings. The final week of the regular season will see them host third-place Brisbane while Canberra flies to fifth-place Adelaide (20-22).
- Geoff Klein: Klein hit for average this week but with little power, singling five times and doubling once in 20 at bats. Sydney's number five batter struck out a season-high eight times and worked one base-on-balls. Three times he touched home with another knocked in. Klein was one-for-two in shutting down the opposition's running game. His line for the week: .300/.333/.350/.683 with a .500 BABIP and .050 ISO.
Season-to-date: .265/.339/.371/.710, 151 AB, 17 R, 40 H, 10 2B, 2 HR, 18 RBI, 17 BB, 37 SO, 1 SB, 0 CS, .339 BABIP
Play-off stats are through January 21st.
Toros del Este –
Este's loss on the 16th eliminated them from advancing to the finals. Aguilas Cibaenas and Escogido moved on with Escogido sweeping in four games.
- Jamie Romak: Romak was hitless in 10 at bats over four contests. He did not play after January 3rd.
Regular Season: .280/.308/.440/.748, 25 AB, 4 R, 7 H, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 6 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, 2 E, .333 BABIP, .150 ISO, 3.8% BB/PA, 23.1% K/PA
Round-Robin Stats: .000/.000/.000/.000, 7 AB, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 SO, 30% K/PA
The Mexican Pacific League play-offs began on January 2nd, with each round being a best-of-seven series. After regular season champion Culiacan swept Hermosillo in the first round, they faced Obregon in round two, who fell to Guasave in their first-round series. Third-place Mexicali eliminated sixth-place Mazatlan before facing Guasave in the next round. Obregon took down Culiacan in five games while Mexicali's series versus Guasave went the distance. Obregon plays at Mexicali for the first two contests then comes home for the next three. Stats are through the second-round games.
Yaquis de Obregon –
Obregon split the first two at Culiacan, winning the opener 7-5 before dropping the next one 6-4. The Yaquis took all three at home, 6-5, 10-2 and 7-2 to advance to the finals.
- Jermaine Curtis: After going hitless in 11 post-season at bats, Curtis did not appear in either of Obregon's last two games against Culiacan. He remained on the bench for the first game of the finals, a 5-3 victory by Obregon.
Regular Season: .306/.405/.372/.777, 180 AB, 27 R, 55 H, 9 2B, 1 HR, 22 RBI, 30 BB, 25 SO, 9 SB, 2 CS, .344 BABIP, 4 E
First-round Stats: .000/.250/.000/.250, 9 AB, 0 R, 0 H, 3 BB, 1 SO, 0 SB, 1 CS, 1 E
Second-round Stats: .000/.500/.000/.500, 2 AB, 0 R, 0 H, 2 BB, 1 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, 0 E
The play-offs began on January 2nd with the top four teams facing each other through the 16th. Caguas and Mayaguez advanced to the best-of-seven finals, which began on January 18th. Stats are through games of January 22nd.
Criollos de Caguas –
The Criollos' loss to Carolina in the final game of the round-robin tournament did not prevent them from moving on to play Mayaguez. The series is currently tied 2-2 with Caguas hosting games five and seven (if necessary).
- Luis Mateo: Although Mateo went 0-for-3 with a hit-by-pitch in the Carolina defeat, he bounced back with a single and triple in four at bats in Caguas' 5-4 victory over Mayaguez at home in the first game of the finals. The shortstop led off the fourth with a triple to right and raced home on a single up the middle to make the score 4-2. He was hitless in three at bats with a walk and a strikeout as the Criolles took game two at Mayaquez 3-1. Mateo's only hit in three at bats in game three was a single in the second that advanced a runner to third and set up a sac fly for Caguas' sole tally in a 2-1 defeat. The number eight hitter's walk with one out in the fourth moved a runner into scoring position but the opportunity went for naught when their lead-off batter hit into a double play with the bases loaded. Mateo finished the week by singling in five at bats with a crucial fielding error in the bottom of the 11th that allowed an unearned tally to cross and resulted in a 6-5 loss on Tuesday.
Regular Season: .313/.345/.403/.748, 134 AB, 19 R, 42 H, 7 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 15 RBI, 8 BB, 28 SO, 7 SB, 0 CS, 8 E, .380 BABIP, .082 ISO, 5.4% BB/PA, 19.0% K/PA
Round-Robin Stats: .250/.311/.375/.686, 40 AB, 5 R, 10 H, 3 2B, 1 3B, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 8 SO, 0 SB, 2 CS, 2 HBP, .303 BABIP
League Finals Stats: .267/.353/.400/.753, 15 AB, 2 R, 4 H, 1 3B, 2 BB, 2 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, 0 HBP, .308 BABIP
Overall Post-season Stats: .255/.323/.382/.704, 55 AB, 7 R, 14 H, 3 2B, 2 3B, 4 RBI, 4 BB, 10 SO, 0 SB, 1 CS, 1 HBP, .304 BABIP
Gigantes de Carolina –
Carolina won their post-season finale to finish with a 5-7 record.
- Juan Caballero: Caballero did not appear in the last game.
Regular Season: 5.40 ERA/6.19 FIP, 3 G, 0 GS, 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 0 HB, 3 BB, 2 SO, 3.00 WHIP, .250 BAA, .333 BABIP
Post-season Stats: 7.11 ERA/5.10 FIP, 3 G, 0 GS, 6.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R/ER, 1 HR, 0 HB, 3 BB, 5 SO, 1.74 WHIP, .296 BAA, .318 BABIP
- Anthony Garcia: Garcia sat in the Gigantes' last three games.
Season: .279/.377/.433/.810, 104 AB, 13 R, 29 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 16 RBI, 14 BB, 25 SO, 1 SB, 1 CS, 2 E, .338 BABIP, .144 ISO, 11.5% BB/PA, 20.5% K/PA
Post-season Stats: .263/.275/.526/.801, 38 AB, 6 R, 10 H, 1 2B, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 0 BB, 12 SO, 1 SB, 0 CS, 1 HBP, .292 BABIP
Indios de Mayaguez –
Mayaguez won their contest against Santurce on the 16th. With the finals knotted up at two all, the Indios will host game six against Caguas.
- Hector Hernandez: Hernandez has not pitched since the last report.
Regular Season: 4.55 ERA/5.04 FIP, 10 G, 5 GS, 27.2 IP, 33 H, 17 R, 14 ER, 3 HR, 0 HB, 13 BB, 14 SO, 1.66 WHIP, .314 BAA, .333 BABIP, 10 IR/4 IRS
Post-season Stats: 9.00 ERA/4.70 FIP, 2 G, 2 GS, 6.00 IP, 8 H, 6 R/ER, 2 HB, 3 BB, 3 SO, 1.83 WHIP, .300 BAA, .348 BABIP
Cangrejeros de Santurce –
Santurce won six and lost seven during the post-season.
- Jonathan Rodriguez: On the 16th Rodriguez made his only appearance of the post-season, a start at third. Batting fifth, he was hitless in three at bats with two strikeouts. Rodriguez represented the tying run when he was hit by a pitch in the eighth inning and advanced to second on a single where he was stranded.
Regular Season: .235/.381/.382/.763, 34 AB, 5 R, 8 H, 2 2B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 7 BB, 14 SO, 0 SB, 1 CS, .368 BABIP
The round-robin portion of the Venezuelan League ran from January 2nd through the 21st. Anzoategui, Caracas, Lara, Magallanes and Zulia participated with Lara and Magallanes advancing to the 3-2-3 best-of-seven finals which begin on January 23rd. Stats are through the games of January 21st, the end of five-team play.
Caribes de Anzoategui –
The Caribes went 2-2 for the week to finish 8-8, two games out of the finals.
- Ildemaro Vargas: Vargas received his first starts of the post-season in the Caribes' last two games, both wins. On the 20th the shortstop singled three times in five at bats, driving in two to lead his squad to a 3-2 victory in 11. Vargas' single to center in the fifth gave the Caribes a temporary 2-1 lead but he was nailed trying to stretch his hit into a double for the second out of the frame. He came up in the top of the 11th with the bases loaded and one out. His grounder up the middle was the game-winning hit. Vargas followed that up by going 0-for-3 with a base-on-balls on the 21st.
Regular Season: .286/.355/.393/.748, 28 AB, 7 R, 8 H, 1 2B, 1 3B. 4 RBI, 3 BB, 3 SO, 0 E, .320 BABIP, .071 ISO, 9.1% BB/PA, 9.1% K/PA
Post-season Stats: .333/.400/.333/.733, 9 AB, 0 R, 3 H, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SO, 1 E, .375 BABIP
Cardenales de Lara –
Lara finished strong with four wins in as many games to tie Magallanes for first place.
- Richard Castillo: After yielding two long balls in 24 regular season innings for the Cardenales, Castillo matched that total in his last two appearances. On Friday he tossed the ninth in a 6-2 win, allowing a solo shot to go with a ground out and two fly outs. The righty fanned the opposition's number three batter looking to strand three runners inherited from two pitchers in the fourth inning of Sunday's game. Castillo proceeded to cough up another solo slam with two out in the fifth that made the score 5-3 Lara. He issued one free pass and struck out two.
Season: 4.50 ERA/5.34 FIP, 26 G, 0 GS, 24 IP, 28 H, 14 R, 12 ER, 2 HR, 1 HB, 14 BB, 13 SO, 1.75 WHIP, .286 BAA, .313 BABIP
Post-season Stats: 5.18 ERA/5.62 FIP, 7 G, 0 GS, 8.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R/ER, 2 HR, 0 HB, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0.81 WHIP, .214 BAA, .174 BABIP, 7 IR/0 IRS
Navigantes del Magallanes –
Magallanes went 3-1 for an overall record of 10-6 which corrects their record erroneously reported in last week's notebook.
- Victor Marte: Marte did not appear in the Navigantes' four most recent contests.
Post-season Stats: 8.31 ERA/3.43 FIP, 3 G, 0 GS, 4.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 HR, 0 HB, 2 BB, 4 SO,1.85 WHIP, .316 BAA, .375 BABIP, 6 IR/3 IRS
© 2013 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.