Caribes de Anzoategui –
Record for the Week: 3-3
- Ildemaro Vargas: Vargas took part in three contests, all as a substitute. The 22-year-old took over in left in the bottom of the eighth on the 12th but did not bat. On Friday he pinch ran in sixth inning of the first game of a double-header. Finally, Vargas worked a pinch-hit walk in the seventh inning of Saturday's victory before taking over at short. Vargas is still looking for his first hit of the season. Additionally, Vargas appeared in both games of a double-header for the Venezuelan Parallel League (VPL) Caribes on the 12th. He went 2-for-5 with a home run and a walk plus a stolen base.
Tigres de Aragua –
Record for the Week: 3-3
- Jorge Rondon: Rondon pitched twice with mixed results although both appearances came in Tigres victories. The righty retired the opposition's eight, nine and one hitters in order on the 13th, on a called strikeout plus two ground outs, to maintain a 3-2 advantage. On Friday he entered the seventh with one out and a runner on first and was yanked after yielding a single that advanced the runner to second. Rondon's runner subsequently crossed, giving him six runs allowed on 10 hits and three base-on-balls in 5 2/3 total. He has a 2.29 WHIP, .429 BABIP and 5.32 FIP.
Cardenales de Lara –
Record for the Week: 2-4
- Scott McGregor: McGregor earned one of his team's two victories of the week in his start on the 14th. The right-hander held Aragua to three tallies on six hits and a free pass in six frames. McGregor struck out four with 11 ground outs and two fly outs. He has a 5.12 ERA, 3.41 FIP, 1.50 WHIP and .362 BABIP in five games, four starts, covering 19 1/3 innings.
Bravos de Margarita -
Record for the Week: 5-1
- Silfredo Garcia: Garcia's only appearance was on the 15th when he faced the minimum in an eventual loss by Margarita. Garcia began the fifth with his team down 3-1 and fanned the first batter swinging. The opposition's number three batter reached on a fielding error by the 22-year-old got the clean-up batter to hit into a 6-4-3 double play. Garcia has yielded 10 hits, including three long balls, and three walks in 10 2/3 frames over 13 appearances for a 1.41 WHIP. He has a 6.42 ERA, 5.92 FIP and .290 BABIP.
- Joshua Lopez: did not play
- Breyvic Valera: The Bravos' starting left fielder in all six contests, Valera's offensive woes continued this week. The 21-year-old went 4-for-16 with a triple, two walks and three runs scored. Valera struck out twice for nine in total over 101 at bats, or once every 11.2 at bats on average.
Record for the Week: 2-4
- Ismael Brito: Once again Brito had trouble finding the plate, issuing four free passes over two innings in two games. The righty retired one batter on the 13th, giving up a hit and walk. Brito worked out of an inherited jam on the 18th, stranding two runners in the fourth and faced the minimum in the fifth. The sixth, however, proved his undoing as he loaded the bases on a single plus two base-on-balls and was pulled without retiring a batter. All three runners crossed. Brito has allowed 10 hits and 11 walks in 11 2/3 with 12 strikeouts and five runs given up. He has a 3.86 ERA, 3.97 FIP, 1.80 WHIP and .333 BABIP.
- Carlos Torres: Torres' bat is heating back up with five hits in 16 at bats, including a double and triple, with two runs scored and four driven in. That works out to .313/.353/.400/.853 mark. A starter in five of the Bravos' six contests, Torres played left three times, right once and center once. Overall, the 21-year-old sports a .337/.394/.453/.847 line with seven stolen bases in seven attempts.
Record for the Week: 4-1
- Leobaldo Pina: Pina singled once in nine at bats covering two starts and a pinch hit appearance. One start came at third and the other at short. The 19-year-old struck out once, stole a bag and committed an error. To date Pina's line is .368/.405/.553/.957 in 38 at bats over 11 games, nine of them starts.
- Gerwuins Velazco: The only Velazco sighting was on Monday when he took over catching duties in the ninth inning. Velazco is batting a paltry .172/351/.310/.662, 5-for-29 with a double and home run in 13 games. He has eight walks to seven strikeouts.
Record for the Week: 4-3
- Ronnierd Garcia: Garcia started six games, all at third and bat sixth. He went 5-for-21 with three doubles, four walks, four runs scored and two RBI's. Garcia fanned five times and committed two errors. Overall, his line is .226/.308/.452/.760, 21-for-93 in 25 games with 14 errors.
- Jose Godoy: Godoy moved between the VPL and Venezuelan League clubs this week, appearing twice for Caribes and once with the main club. All of his action with the VPL club came on a Tuesday double-header. Godoy pinch hit in game one, taking over catching duties and was the starting catcher in game two. The 19-year-old went 2-for-3 with a walk for Caribes. On Saturday he pinch hit in the seventh and caught the balance of the contest. Godoy singled once in two at bats, touching home once. His VPL line: .462/.533/.538/1.072, 6-for-13 in five games, with a double, two runs scored and an RBI. He has two base-on-balls, one stolen base and has yet to strike out.
- Cesar Valera: Valera saw time in six games, five of them as the starting shortstop. He went 6-for-22 with a long ball, two base-on-balls, touched home five times and drove in two. Valera fanned twice and stole two bases. He has a .270/.356/.429/.785 line in 63 at bats over 18 games.
La Guaira –
Record for the Week: 4-0-1
- Anderson Gerdel: Gerdel picked up the win on the 13th, tossing two shut out frames with a hit and one strikeout. The right-hander has fanned nine in 18 2/3 innings, yielding 16 hits and two walks for a sparkling 0.96 WHIP. Gerdel has a 1.93 ERA, 4.27 FIP, .237 BABIP and is holding his opponents to a .229 batting average.
- Kender Villegas: did not pitch
Related article: Part one of this report covered Cardinals prospects' results the past week in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Nicaragua.
© 2013 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.