Aguilas Cibaenas –
Record for the Week: 8-1
- Jose Almarante: Although Almarante is now listed on Aguilas' roster, which is new since the last report, he has yet to make an appearance.
- Jermaine Curtis: Curtis hit for high average in five starts at second over the past two weeks, singling seven times in 15 at bats while crossing five times and knocking in three, batting ninth. The 26-year-old worked five base-on-balls versus just one strikeout for a .467/.619/.467/1.087 mark. To date Curtis is batting .313/.425/.343/.768, 21-for-67 with two doubles, 11 walks, nine strikeouts and one stolen base in five attempts over 24 games. He has a .362 BABIP.
- Carlos Martinez: Like Almarante, Martinez' name now appears on the Cibaenas' roster but he has not yet pitched. It is being reported by Dominican sources that he will make his winter debut on December 14th, but Cardinals officials have yet to confirm that approval has been granted.
- Audry Perez: has not played since November 16th.
Gigantes de Cibao –
Record for the Week: 2-8
- Ronny Gil: Gil continues to hit for high average in limited action for the third consecutive report. The 24-year-old made five starts: two in left, two at short and one at second, batting mainly lead off. Gil went .412/.500/.588/1.088, 7-for-17, with a long ball, three free passes, five strikeouts and five runs scored. Overall, Gil has a line of .357/.426/.429/.854, 15-for-42 in 23 games with a .424 BABIP.
Leones de Escogido –
Record for the Week: 5-4
- Starlin Rodriguez: is not currently listed on Escogido's roster
Tigres de Licey –
Record for the Week: 5-4
- Willy Paulino: is not currently listed on the Tigres' roster.
Indios del Boer –
Record for the Week: 5-3 with one cancelled due to a bus accident on the way to the game versus Rivas
- Jhonny Polanco: Polanco was credited with the win in both of his relief appearances. On December 5th he relieved the Indios' starter in the bottom of the seventh with his team down 4-2 and recorded the final two outs with a walk and a strikeout. Boer plated three in the top of the eighth to give the righty the victory. Polanco worked the last 1 1/3 of a tie contest the next day, notching another K while issuing a free pass and benefited from a wild pitch by the opposition that came with the bases loaded and gave the Indios a 3-2 walk-off win. To date, the 21-year-old has fanned nine and walked nine in 10 2/3, yielding six runs, three earned, on eight hits for a 2.53 ERA, 4.32 FIP, 1.59 WHIP and .500 BABIP.
Criollos de Caguas –
Record for the Week: 5-2
- Luis Mateo: Mateo played short in all seven contests, six of them as the starter and batted ninth. His best offensive game came in a victory of the 3rd when he singled and doubled in three at bats with a run scored. Mateo went 3-for-14 with a double, three base-on-balls, four sac bunts and three strikeouts. Overall, the 23-year-old has a line of .236/.325/.278/.603, 17-for-72 in 25 games with a .283 BABIP.
- Iden Nazario: remains on Caguas' reserve list
Gigantes de Carolina –
Record for the Week: 1-8, one postponed
- Juan Caballero: Caballero got some brief mop up duty on the 27th, recording the final two outs in a 9-2 loss. The right-hander issued a free pass to his first batter faced before notching a fly out to right and strikeout swinging. Caballero has tossed 3 1/3 innings in two games, allowing a three-run bomb that was one of five hits permitted overall to go with four walks and four strikeouts.
- Anthony Garcia: The 2013 Puerto Rico League All-Star managed only a line of .241/.303/.379/.682, 7-for-29 as the designated hitter in the last nine games after going .400/.500/.800/1.300 in the week ending November 24th,. His best outing was on the 2nd when he accounted for all three of his team's tallies, going 2-for-3 with a double, solo bomb, two runs scored and a sac fly. His overall mark is .286/.345/.486/.831 in 72 at bats over 22 games. Garcia has a .273 BABIP.
Indios de Mayaguez –
Record for the Week: 5-4
- Hector Hernandez: Hernandez received no decisions in his two starts versus Carolina, games that Mayaquez won. On the 30th he yielded two tallies on five hits and a base-on-balls through 3 1/3 while fanning three. Hernandez permitted two unearned runs on five hits and two walks over four frames on the 5th To date the southpaw has allowed seven runs, five earned, on 17 hits and seven walks in 16 2/3 innings encompassing six games, four of them starts. Hernandez has struck out 12 with a 2.70 ERA, 3.98 FIP, 1.44 WHIP and .314 BABIP.
Cangrejeros de Santurce –
Record for the Week: 7-3, one postponed
- Jonathan Rodriguez: After appearing in just seven of Santurce's first 16 games, Rodriguez started seven of his squad's most recent 10 contests, six at third plus one as the designated hitter. The 24-year-old hit safely in four of his seven starts, including two multi-hit performances. Rodriguez went 6-for-24 with two doubles, a home run, four base-on-balls, six strikeouts, touched home three times while knocking in five for a .250/.345/.458/.803 mark. That raises his overall numbers to .190/.300/.333/.633, 8-for-42 in 14 games with a .226 BABIP.
- Former Cardinal Adron Chambers has joined Santurce. The outfielder recently signed a minor league contract with Houston for 2014.
Coming next: On Tuesday, look for part 2 of this report, covering Cardinals prospects' results from the last week in the two Venezuelan winter leagues.
© 2013 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.