Aguilas Cibaenas –
Record for the Week: 3-4
- Jose Almarante: Almarante made his 2013 Dominican Winter League debut on the 13th in a game Aguilas eventually lost 7-1. The righty began the seventh with his squad trailing 5-1 and allowed three of four batters faced to reach on a throwing error by the third baseman, single and hit batsman. Almarante was charged with an unearned tally when the runner subsequently crossed after the Haitian native's departure.
- Angel Castro: A recent minor league free agent signee, Castro has been a fixture in the Cibaenas' rotation, tossing 48 2/3 frames over eight starts. The right-hander has yielded 41 hits and 13 base-on-balls (versus 37 strikeouts), resulting in 11 tallies, seven earned. His 1.29 ERA leads the league and his 1.11 WHIP is among the league leaders. Castro has a 2.87 FIP, .280 BABIP and is holding the opposition to a .228 batting average.
- Jermaine Curtis: Curtis continues to swing a hot bat, going .400/.550/.467/1.017, 6-for-15 in six games with a double, five walks, two runs scored and only one strikeout. He notched an outfield assist at first base in two of his three starts in right but made two errors in two starts at second. Overall, Curtis has a line of .329/.450/.366/.816, 27-for-82 in 30 games with a .375 BABIP.
- Carlos Martinez: Martinez received a no decision in his off-season debut on the 14th. The 22-year-old retired the side in order in the first but ran into trouble in his second and final inning of work. Martinez notched his second strikeout against the lead-off batter but allowed the next two batters to reach via a single and his own throwing error that put runners at second and third. A fielder's choice at home produced the second out but a soft fly single to right brought in an unearned tally.
- Audry Perez: Perez saw his first action in nearly a month when he received consecutive starts on the 13th and 14th. The catcher singled twice in eight at bats with an RBI, bringing his cumulative line to .294/.333/.471/.804, 10-for-34 in 11 games with three doubles, a home run, two walks, three strikeouts, four runs scored and four driven in. .
Gigantes de Cibao -
Record for the Week: 4-3
- Ronny Gil: Gil has not played since November 30th.
Indios del Boer –
Record for the Week: 3-4
- Jhonny Polanco: Polanco relieved on the 14th and 15th although he did not figure in either of the resulting losses. The righty gave up two runs on four hits and an intentional walk in one plus innings. To date, Polanco has tossed 11 2/3 frames in 14 games, allowing 12 hits and 10 walks that produced eight runs, five earns. He has a 3.86 ERA, 4.57 FIP, 1.89 WHIP and .571 BABIP.
Criollos de Caguas –
Record for the Week: 2-4
- Luis Mateo: Mateo went 3-for-4 in his start on the 10th but batted just 1-for-15 in his other five starts for the Criollos. His cumulative line drops to .231/.308/.286/.593, 21-for-91 with three doubles, a triple, 10 walks, 10 runs scored, 10 RBI's, 17 strikeouts and three stolen bases. Mateo has a .276 BABIP.
- Iden Nazario: remains on Caguas' reserve list
Gigantes de Carolina –
Record for the Week: 3-3
- Juan Caballero: After receiving mop up duty in a loss on the 27th, Caballero's next sighting was as the ninth inning hurler with his squad up by 11 on the 17th. The 21-year-old got his first batter to ground out, 6-3, served up a solo shot to right and finished with two swinging K's.
- Anthony Garcia: Garcia bounced back from a sub-par performance last report, hitting a hot .379/.414/.517/.931, 11-for-29 as the designated hitter. The 21-year-old doubled and homered once, touched home three times and drove in eight. His overall numbers are up to .297/.363/.495/.858, 30-for-101 in 29 games with a .333 BABIP.
Indios de Mayaguez –
- Hector Hernandez: Hernandez was selected by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft on December 12th. Thus, he drops off the report.
Cangrejeros de Santurce –
Record for the Week: 2-3
- Jonathan Rodriguez: Rodriguez had his best showing at the plate, going 5-for-16 in five games, four of them starts. The right fielder doubled three times, walked twice, scored one and knocked in two for a line of .313/.389/.500/.889. His cumulative mark sits at .224/.324/.379/.703, 13-for-58 in 19 games with a .279 BABIP.
Coming next: On Thursday, look for part 2 of this report, covering Cardinals prospects' results from the last week in the two Venezuelan winter leagues.
© 2013 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.