The postseason kicked off on December 27th and runs through January 17, 2014.
Aguilas Cibaenas –
Current Week's Round Robin Record: 2-3
Cumulative Round Robin Record: 4-5
- Jose Almarante: Almarante is not on the postseason roster.
- Angel Castro: Castro was the losing pitcher in Sunday's 3-1 defeat by Licey, yielding a tally in the first plus a two-run bomb in the sixth. The right-hander allowed five hits and four walks in 5 2/3 with six ground outs, four fly outs and no strikeouts. Castro's post-season line stands at six runs given up, five earned, on nine hits and six walks in 9 2/3 over two starts for a 4.65 ERA, 7.34 FIP, 1.55 WHIP, .265 BAA and .233 BABIP He has struck out two.
- Jermaine Curtis: Curtis' cold bat has impacted his postseason playing time. He came in as a pinch runner on Thursday after Aguilas' starting second baseman injured himself legging out a bunt single. Curtis took over at second and was charged with a fielding error. The 26-year-old grounded out as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning of a loss on January 4th. The next day he pinch hit to open the ninth and popped out to second. His only start of the week was on Monday, batting seventh and playing second. Curtis went 0-for-2 with two free passes and a strikeout before being switched out on defense in the bottom of the ninth. To date he has gone 1-for-10 in six games with three walks, three K's and a fielding error.
- Carlos Martinez: Martinez bounced back from his horrific December 28th start with a no decision in Aguilas' 3-2 win on January 3rd. The righty scattered five hits and a base-on-balls over five, yielding a fourth-inning run while fanning six. Martinez induced eight ground outs to one fly out and was called for a balk to go with six strikeouts. The Puerto Plata native has allowed six runs, four earned, on 10 hits and a walk in 6 1/3 frames covering two starts. Martinez has a 5.69 ERA, 1.94 FIP, 1.74 WHIP, .333 BAA and .435 BABIP with seven strikeouts.
- Audry Perez: did not play
Indios del Boer –
Record for the Period: 2-2
- Jhonny Polanco: Polanco has not appeared since December 15th. Overall, he has tossed 11 2/3 frames in 14 games, allowing 12 hits and 10 walks that produced eight runs, five earns. He has a 3.86 ERA, 4.57 FIP, 1.89 WHIP and .571 BABIP.
The Puerto Rico League moved into its round robin tournament this week with Caguas, Carolina, Mayaguez and Ponce advancing. Jonathan Rodriguez' Santurce squad was eliminated. The round robin schedule runs through January 17th with the top two teams playing a best-of-seven league championship series beginning on January 19th.
Criollos de Caguas –
Round Robin Record for the Week: 1-2
- Luis Mateo: Mateo's offensive difficulties carried over into the postseason as the shortstop's only hit in 10 at bats was a single. Although Mateo started all three contests, he was pinch hit for twice in what would have been his final at bat. Caguas' bottom of the order batter drew one free pass, fanned twice and committed a throwing error.
- Iden Nazario: remains on Caguas' reserve list.
Gigantes de Carolina –
Round Robin Record for the Week: 0-3
- Juan Caballero: The sole Caballero sighting this week came on Saturday when the righty took the mound with runners on first and second and two outs. Caballero got the opposition's number eight batter to fly out to left, keeping his team's deficit at 9-3.
- Anthony Garcia: Garcia's hot bat cooled off considerably this week with only two singles in 11 at bats. The Gigantes' designated hitter touched home twice, walked two times and struck out three times.
Coming next: Look for part 2 of this report, covering Cardinals prospects' results from the last week in the two Venezuelan winter leagues.
© 2014 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.