Eight teams comprise the Venezuelan League which runs from October 9th through the end of December.
Stats through October 28th.
Bravos de Margarita –
Record for the Period: 3-9
Overall Record: 5-12
Standing: Seventh of eight teams, 9 ½ back
- Ismael Brito: Brito made three relief appearances covering 1 2/3 innings. The sole tally yielded by the lefty crossed after he exited the mound. Brito gave up two hits and two walks, one intentional. He inherited runners in two of three games and allowed one of four runners to score. Overall, Brito has an 11.57 ERA/8.78 FIP and 2.57 WHIP.
- Silfredo Garcia: Despite maintaining his 0.00 ERA over the past two weeks, Garcia compiled a 1.80 WHIP in 3 1/3 frames over four games. The righty yielded three hits and three walks and got a bit lucky in his only inherited runner situation. Garcia entered with a man on first, one out only to see the runner caught stealing prior to Garcia issuing a base-on-balls and single that may well have scored him. The 23-year-old has a cumulative 5.30 FIP with a 1.20 WHIP.
Caribes de Anzoategui –
Record for the Period: 11-1
Overall Record: 14-2
Standing: First, 1 ½ up
- Cesar Valera: Valera made his 2014 debut on the 15th, the first of six games in which he took part. Playing third and second as well as having two starts at short, Valera has two singles and a double in nine at bats plus two successful sac bunts. He pinch ran in the 10th with his squad down a run, scoring the tying run in an eventual win. The 22-year-old has fanned four times and has yet to draw a free pass.
Leones del Caracas –
Record for the Period: 6-6
Overall Record: 8-9
Standing: Fourth, 6 ½ behind
- Tommy Pham: Pham continues to struggle at the plate, batting .147/.268/.147/.415, 5-for-34 in nine games, all starts in center. He was the Leones’ lead-off batter through his initial 12 games but has been dropped to at or near the bottom of the order in his two most recent starts. Pham worked six free passes but struck out 11 times. To add insult to injury the centerfielder was caught stealing in both of his attempts this period. Pham has an overall BABIP of .152.
- Boone Whiting: Whiting started three games since the last report, each start of shorter duration than the previous one. He went 5 1/3 on the 15th, giving up two runs on six hits while fanning five. His October 21st outing lasted 4 1/3 innings with two runs surrendered, one earned, on a hit plus five walks. Whiting tossed two frames on the 26th, allowing a run on two hits with four strikeouts. He has compiled a 3.52 ERA/6.40 FIP and 1.30 WHIP in 15 1/3 frames over four starts. Whiting has struck out 15 but walked seven and batters are hitting .295 off him (.429 BABIP).
Tiburones de La Guaira –
Record for the Period: 4-7
Overall Record: 6-10
Standing: Fifth, eight back
- Rafael Ortega: Ortega’s cold offensive start led to a reduction in his playing time. After starting in four of La Guaira’s first five games, the centerfielder sat for the next nine days. Ortega started on the 22nd, going 1-for-4 and only saw game action as a late-innings defensive replacement on the 23rd and 24th. He finished the period by striking out as a pinch hitter on the 26th. Ortega’s line: .143/.317/.265/.583, 2-for-17 in eight games.
Tigres de Aragua -
Overall Record: 9-4, two postponed
Standing: Third, 3 1/2 back
- Jorge Rondon: Rondon’s early performance for the Tigres has been solid with the righty unscored upon in his first four appearances totaling four innings. He retired two of three in his 2014 debut on 18th, finishing the frame to maintain a 2-1 lead. The next day Rondon tossed a one-two-three sixth to keep game scoreless in a game eventually won in extras. The Calabozo native again retired the side in order in the seventh on the 24th with Aragua up by two. On October 28th Rondon finished the period with his first inherited runner situation, coming into the sixth with a runner on first, two out and his squad up 3-0. He struck out his first batter swinging before working around two singles for a scoreless seventh. Rondon has fanned four with three hits and no walks allowed.
© 2014 stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.