Stats through November 12th.
Bravos de Margarita –
Record for the Period: 2-4
Overall Record: 10-19
Standing: Seventh, 11 ½ back
- Ismael Brito (Johnson City): Brito has not appeared in a game since October 19th. He has compiled an 11.57 ERA/8.78 FIP and 2.57 WHIP in four appearances totaling 2 1/3 innings.
- Silfredo Garcia (Palm Beach): Garcia has not pitched since October 26th and is no longer listed on the Bravos’ roster. He has a 0.00 ERA/5.30 FIP and 1.20 WHIP in 6 2/3 frames over seven games. The opposition has five hits during that span for a .250 average against him, .250 BABIP.
Caribes de Anzoategui –
Record for the Period: 3-3
Overall Record: 21-7
Standing: First, ½ game up on Aguilas
- Cesar Valera (Palm Beach): Valera started at short once this week, batting ninth. Although he was hitless in three at bats, the 22-year-old worked a free pass and scored. Defensively, Valera took part in four of Caribes’ five double plays in the 8-4 victory over Aragua. His other appearance came on Wednesday when he took over at short in the bottom of the eighth inning of an 11-1 pasting by Lara. Valera did not have a plate appearance.
Leones del Caracas –
Record for the Period: 2-4
Overall Record: 13-17
Standing: Fifth, nine back
- Tommy Pham (Memphis): Pham has not appeared in a game since October 26th and is no longer listed on Leones’ active roster. He was off to an ice-cold start, .143/.317/.265/.583, 7-for-49 in 14 games.
- Miguel Socolovich (Memphis): New minor league free agent signee Socolovich joins the report this week. All 10 of the right-hander’s appearances for the Leones have come in relief, totaling 11 innings. Socolovich has struck out 15 in the span while issuing just two free passes for a 0.73 WHIP. The 28-year-old has allowed six hits and two runs in that time, for a 1.64 ERA, 2.47 FIP. His opponents are batting .158 off Socolovich with a .217 BABIP. He has not faced an inherited runner situation so far.
- Boone Whiting (Memphis): Whiting’s mound struggles continued this week with his lack of control being a major factor. The righty issued a whopping 10 free passes in just 8 1/3 innings in two starts. Whiting has now walked more batters (20) than he has struck out (18). He was charged with a loss in his only decision, threw a wild pitch and was charged with a balk. Whiting allowed six hits, four runs, three earned and fanned two. Overall, he has a 4.39 ERA, 4.70 FIP, 1.61 WHIP and is walking an average of over six batters for every nine innings pitched.
Tiburones de La Guaira –
Record for the Period: 2-3, one postponed
Overall Record: 8-19
Standing: Eighth, 12 ½ back
- Rafael Ortega (Memphis): On Sunday, Ortega got his first start since October 22nd and only his sixth of the season, playing center and batting eighth. He singled once in three at bats with a walk and run scored in one of La Guaira’s two wins for the period. Ortega was a late-innings defensive replacement in center on Wednesday, a game the Tiburones won 4-3. That raises his cumulative offense to .150/.227/.200/.427, 3-for-20 in 12 games.
The developmental arm of the Venezuelan League is the Venezuelan Parallel League or VPL. The 16-team league breaks down into two divisions and the regular season runs from mid-October through mid-December.
Stats through November 12th.
Record for the Period: 1-4
Overall Record: 9-15-1
- Carlos Torres (Johnson City): Torres saw time in three games, two starts, this week. The 22-year-old started in left and right, batting sixth and singled once in eight at bats with two RBIs and two strikeouts. He fanned as a pinch hitter on Wednesday. Torres is batting .200/.208/.260/.468 with a .278 BABIP in 50 at bats covering 19 games, 13 starts. He has yet to take a walk.
- Ismael Brito (Johnson City): Brito looks to have been bumped down to Liga Paralela. His rough winter continues, with three runs allowed on four hits and two walks in 1 2/3 innings for a 16.20 ERA.
Record for the Period: 1-3-1
Overall Record: 12-12-1
- Jhohan Acevedo (State College): Acevedo has gone hot and cold at the plate, beginning the season by batting .333 with a .753 OPS in his first 30 at bats before falling into a 1-for-9 slump last week. The 21-year-old bounced back with his best effort so far, batting .588/.588/.706/1.294, 10-for-17, with two doubles, two driven in and a stolen base. Defensively, Acevedo played all three outfield positions: twice in center plus once each in left and right. Overall, he has a line of .375/.403/.446/.850, 21-for-56 in 19 games, 14 starts, with a .457 BABIP. With an average of 2.48 plate appearances per game, Acevedo falls just short of the 2.50 PA/G threshold needed to qualify amongst the league leaders. His .375 batting average would be fourth in the league.
Record for the Period: 0-5
Overall Record: 8-9-1
- Ronnierd Garcia (Peoria): Garcia manned first in both of his starts, singling once in five at bats with an RBI and three strikeouts. That drops his cumulative numbers to .227/.278/.288/.566, 15-for-66 in 18 games, 17 starts.
- Jose Godoy (Johnson City): Godoy had a solid week at the plate, going 3-for-10 in three starts as Caribes’ clean-up batter. The catcher doubled once and maintains more walks (eight) than strikeouts (seven). Godoy has boosted his overall stats to .259/.429/.407/.836, 7-for-27 in 11 games, eight starts.
La Guaira –
Record for the Period: 6-0
Overall Record: 18-7-1
- Anderson Gerdel (Johnson City): Gerdel did not pitch this week and has not taken the mound since October 22nd. Overall, he has tossed 12 frames, surrendering a tally on seven hits and has not walked a batter.
- Kender Villegas (Johnson City): Villegas received a no decision in his start on Monday, holding Lara to two runs, one earned on three hits in five. The righty has yet to issue a free pass in 28 frames covering seven games, six starts. Villegas has a cumulative 1.61 ERA/2.41 FIP with a 0.89 WHIP and .276 BABIP. With 25 hits given up during that span, opponents are batting just .234 with 19 strikeouts.
Record for the Period: 0-3
Overall Record: 9-14
- Jose Gomez (Johnson City): No Jose Gomez sightings again this week so his only appearance was in a relief appearance on the mound on October 17th.
© 2014 stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.