The Venezuelan League had a light schedule this week due to the Christmas holidays. The regular season winds down on December 30th with the Round Robin portion of the postseason commencing on January 2nd.
Stats through December 26th.
Bravos de Margarita –
Record for the Period: 2-2
Overall Record: 22-37
Standing: Eighth, 14 games behind Caribes
- Breyvic Valera (Springfield): Possibly the biggest news out of Venezuela in the last week was the December 24th report that Valera, Margarita’s best bat, would not participate in the league’s postseason. The Montalban native, who turns 23 on January 8th, has been playing steadily since Spring Training 2014, thanks to his stints in the Arizona Fall and Venezuelan Leagues. and this decision gives him a bit of downtime before he reports for Spring Training 2015.
Valera’s bat cooled off during the most recent four-game span although he hit a respectable .294, 5-for-17, with two of his five hits going for doubles. He touched home three times and knocked in four more tallies. Valera worked two free passes, bringing his walk total even with his strikeouts (eight for each). Defensively, he played center in all four contests, leading off.
Overall, Valera has gone .349/.413/.422/.835, 29-for-83, in 20 starts, with eight walks, six doubles, 17 runs scored, 12 RBI and a .387 BABIP. He has been successful in three of five stolen base attempts with eight strikeouts and four errors, with all four miscues having occurred early in his VL engagement.
Caribes de Anzoategui –
Record for the Period: 1-2
Overall Record: 36-23
Standing: First, two games in front of Aguilas
- Cesar Valera (Palm Beach): Valera was reassigned on November 24th to Caribes’ Parallel League club, where the season has ended. The 22-year-old received only 12 at bats in nine of Caribes’ first 29 games, going 3-for-12 with a double, walk, two runs scored and five strikeouts. Valera made three starts at short for the Venezuelan League squad.
Leones del Caracas –
Record for the Period: 3-1
Overall Record: 29-33
Standing: Sixth, nine games in back of Caribes
- Miguel Socolovich (Triple-A): Socolovich remains out of commission with back discomfort and has not pitched since November 30th. Despite several blurbs indicating that he was expected to pitch soon, that day has not yet arrived.
Overall, Socolovich has tossed 18 frames in 17 games, yielding four runs on 10 hits and two walks for a 2.00 ERA/2.09 FIP and 0.67 WHIP. The righty has struck out 21, giving him a 10.5:1 K/BB ratio. Opposing batters are hitting .156 off him, .209 BABIP.
Tiburones de La Guaira –
Record for the Period: 1-3
Overall Record: 29-33
Standing: Fifth, 8 ½ in back of Caribes
- Rafael Ortega (Memphis): Ortega did not play. Overall, the centerfielder has posted a line of .167/.231/.208/.439, 4-for-24 in 18 games, seven starts.
- Kender Villegas (Johnson City): Villegas appeared in his second Venezuelan League contest on December 19th, entering with his team trailing 6-1 in the seventh and runners at the corners with two outs. The righty walked the bases loaded before yielding a two-run single to Breyvic Valera. He settled down to retire four straight on a pop out to second, fly out, ground out and swinging K.
© 2014 stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.