Molina and Heyward Win 2015 Gold Glove Awards

Both St. Louis Cardinals among the finalists also won the National League Gold Glove Awards.

At the end of October, Rawlings announced the top three finishers at each position in the American and National League for the 2015 Gold Glove Awards. Both St. Louis Cardinals finalists - catcher Yadier Molina and right fielder Jason Heyward - were named the winner at their respective positions, announced on Tuesday evening.

It is Molina's eighth Gold Glove Award overall, in consecutive seasons starting in 2008, and extends his Cardinals franchise record for the position. Molina threw out 41 percent of baserunners and recorded a .994 fielding percentage.

This is Heyward’s third Gold Glove Award, with his first two earned with the Atlanta Braves. 2.0 of his team-leading 6.5 bWAR (Wins Above Replacement) is due to his defense.

75 percent of the Gold Glove Award reflects the vote of league managers and coaches. The other 25 percent comes from the SABR Defensive Index. In the SDI at their positions, Molina came in third behind San Francisco’s Buster Posey and Washington’s Wilson Ramos.

All nine of the AL and NL winners are now competing for the lone Platinum Glove per league with the fan vote underway at the Rawlings website. Molina already has three.

Update: November 13

Molina won the fan vote for the NL Platinum Glove, his fourth. The AL winner is outfielder Kevin Kiermaier of the Tampa Bay Rays.

BBWAA Awards

Next up in the annual post-season award calendar are the awards voted upon by sportswriters on this schedule:

Monday, November 16: AL, NL Rookie of the Year
Tuesday, November 17: AL, NL Manager of the Year
Wednesday, November 18: AL, NL Cy Young Award
Thursday, November 19: AL, NL Most Valuable Player

For the NL awards, the Cardinals only "finalist" - those in the top three of the voting - is Mike Matheny. The others in competition for Manager of the Year are Terry Collins from the Mets and Joe Maddon of the Cubs.

Not yet a member?

Join The Cardinal Nation for the most comprehensive coverage of the St. Louis Cardinals from the majors through the entire minor league system. Take advantage of our seven-day free trial.

Brian Walton can be reached via email at brian@thecardinalnationblog.com. Also catch his Cardinals commentary at The Cardinal Nation blog. Follow Brian on Twitter.

© 2015 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


The Cardinal Nation Top Stories