Ballpark Village Phase 2 Plan (St. Louis Cardinals)

A recap of St. Louis Cardinals-related news from the period of October 24-30, 2016.

Last week’s St. Louis Cardinals news includes two possible award winners, potential coaching changes and more construction plans.

Two Cardinals Gold Glove Award finalists

A pair of St. Louis Cardinals veterans, pitcher Adam Wainwright and catcher Yadier Molina, have been announced as finalists for the 2016 Rawlings Gold Glove Awards for the National League.  This means is that the two have finished among the top three vote-getters at their respective positions.

http://www.scout.com/player/67461-yadier-molina?s=321

A Gold Glove win would be Molina’s ninth consecutive.  Wainwright was awarded Gold Gloves in 2009 and 2013. 

http://www.scout.com/player/68830-adam-wainwright?s=321

The Rawlings Gold Glove Award has been in existence since 1957.  Votes by MLB managers and coaches count for 75% of the total score for the award.  A defensive statistical measure, known as the SDI, accounts for the other 25%.

The winners will be announced on November 8 at 7:00 p.m. CT on ESPN.

 

Phase 2 of Ballpark Village plans announced

An announcement was made this past week outlining the plans for phase 2 development of Ballpark Village.  Highlights include a residential apartment tower, a Class A office building and additional entertainment/retail space.  Cost for the additions is estimated at $220 million.

Construction is expected to begin at the end of the 2017 baseball season and will take about 18 months to complete.  The new construction will cover approximately 550,000 square feet and run the length of Clark Street between Broadway and Eighth.

The residential tower will be 29 stories high and will be built to the east of the existing Ballpark Village structure.  The tower will offer a view into Busch Stadium and will overlook the Arch and the riverfront.  The office building will be constructed on the opposite end of the complex.

Included in the phase 2 plans are parking structures and a two-story retail venue providing food options for the residential and office structures.

Plans for the remaining 10 acres of land will be determined once construction is completed on phase 2.

 

Coaching Staff Unsettled

David Bell is among candidates for the open job as manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to a Sunday report from the Arizona Republic. The 44-year-old has spent three seasons on St. Louis’ staff, with the last two as manager Mike Matheny’s bench coach.

http://www.scout.com/player/32527-david-bell?s=321

Though the Cardinals are expected to announce a contract extension for Matheny, the current staff may be facing a shakeup, per reports from the Post-Dispatch. Assistant hitting coach Derrick May will not return for 2017. First base coach Bill Mueller will be back, but perhaps in a different role. There is also a question about pitching coach Derek Lilliquist, per the P-D.

 

Trade and Acquisition Rumors

There are no trade or acquisition rumors to report.

 

Transactions

There are no transactions to report.

 

Injury Report

There is no injury news to report.

 

Looking Ahead

The end of the World Series will mark the official start of the Hot Stove season.  Within 5 days of the end of the series, teams will be making decisions on free agent qualifying offers and player contract options.  Expect announcements regarding Matt Holliday, Brandon Moss, Jaime Garcia, and Jordan Walden, with the expectation that options will be declined on Holliday and Walden.  Whether to make Moss a qualifying offer and whether to exercise the team option of Jaime Garcia are still to be announced.

Transactions occurring in the month of November will include additions and subtractions to the 40 man roster.  The additions will consist of players on the 60 day disabled list returning to the roster as well as any minor league players the Cardinals wish to protect from the Rule 5 draft.  Look for some additional subtractions from the 40 man roster to make room for these required additions.

The Winter Meetings are scheduled for December 4-8 in Washington D.C. 

Bonus for members of The Cardinal Nation: Cardinals Winter Pitchers Report: 2016 Week 2

Not yet a member?

Join The Cardinal Nation for the most comprehensive coverage of the St. Louis Cardinals from the majors through the entire minor league system. Take advantage of our seven-day free trial and a one-year subscription to Sports Illustrated now included with all new annual memberships.

Follow Marilyn Green on Twitter @Marilyncolor.

© 2016 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


The Cardinal Nation Top Stories