Beyond the basic medical report provided by the team, the commentary and ratings are mine.
Green = player progressing toward return on his predefined schedule
Yellow = status unclear – return timing undefined
Red = new problem - impact unknown
* Joel Pineiro - right shoulder capsulitis - throwing a bullpen Wednesday.
Commentary: The club is taking it slowly with Pineiro. With Kyle Lohse in house, there is less pressure to push it. Pineiro still has just one spring game appearance. Code = yellow.
* Matt Clement - recovery from right shoulder surgery - throwing a pitchers practice on Thursday, March 20.
Commentary: Still no target for game action. Not expected to be ready for the start of the season, nor is it yet clear what the Cardinals really have in Clement. Code = yellow.
* Mark Mulder - recovery from left shoulder surgery - threw a bullpen Wednesday.
Commentary: All the words are positive. Will start the season on the disabled list. A rehab assignment prior to a May return seems a plausible scenario. Code = green.
* Chris Carpenter - recovery from right elbow surgery - scheduled for bullpen session Wednesday.
Commentary: Seemingly on track for a midseason return. Code = green.
* Josh Kinney - recovery from right elbow surgery - threw a bullpen Wednesday.
Commentary: Was said to be
slightly behind Mulder in terms of schedule. Like the rotation, the bullpen
could be crowded. Has options remaining, so not inconceivable that he could be
asked to start in
* Tyler Johnson - left shoulder tendonitis - will be examined by Dr. George Paletta on Thursday, March 20.
Commentary: Little is known as to the severity of this and when Johnson could be expected back. Hopefully, it will become clearer later this week, but starting the season on the DL seems determined already. Code = yellow.
* Juan Gonzalez - left abdominal strain - MRI was normal, will take BP Wednesday.
Commentary: Juan is running out of time to unseat Rule 5 pick Brian Barton, who appears to be in the lead for the fifth and final outfield position on the Cardinals. Whether or not Gonzalez would report to Triple-A Memphis remains unclear. Code = yellow.
Brian Walton can be reached via email at email@example.com.
© 2008 stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed.