On Friday, the
St. Louis Cardinals announced that they have agreed to terms with six prospects
· Third baseman Roberto De La Cruz (also known as Roberto Pina). Born in San Pedro de Macoris on 11/10/1991. 6-2, 180.
· Right handed pitcher Santo Franco. Born in Bani on 11/28/1991. 6-7, 190.
· Right handed pitcher Dennis Montero. Born in Hato Mayor on 11/20/1991. 6-1, 162.
· Shortstop Grabiel Hernandez. Born in San Pedro de Macoris on 10/16/1991. 5-10, 150.
· Shortstop Cesar Valera. Born in Ocumare on 3/8/1992. 6-1, 180.
handed pitcher Jose Weffer. Born in
These players will be signed pending physicals and completion of age investigations.
"This is an exciting group of
prospects that adds to our growing Latin American program. Our investment in young Latin American
players this year is the largest in club history. Ownership has supported our efforts to
build the infrastructure of facilities and staff and enabled us to compete for
the top talent" said
"We've scouted these players over the past year and very intensely in the past few months leading up to the signing date," said Moises Rodriguez, Director of Latin American Operations. "Each of these players was being heavily courted by several other organizations, but in the end we were able to land them by being competitive with the signing bonuses and convincing them of the fit with the organization."
"In my opinion, De la Cruz was the
best available bat in Latin America," said Juan
Mercado, Scouting Supervisor for