Doing Just Fine, Thank You

MESA, Ariz. -- Sean Marshall was a semi-late addition to the Daytona Cubs' pitching staff back in mid-April. He was held over in Mesa an additional week while nursing a tendon injury in his pitching hand that caused him to miss the final two and a half months of last season. Inside The Ivy caught up with Marshall earlier this week for an update on his status and the injury that shut him down for the remainder of this season.

Marshall came to Daytona and made his presence known to Florida State League hitters almost from the start. He posted a sub-2.00 ERA in his first 10 starts and was named to the league's All-Star game in Clearwater. He had to miss out on the festivities, though, as a promotion back to Double-A West Tenn - where his season ended a year ago - called him away.

Not long after, the left-hander taken with the Cubs' sixth round pick in 2003 was shut down as the result of bicep tendonitis. He made four starts with the Jaxx, posting a 2.52 ERA in 25 innings and notching 24 strikeouts to five walks.

"Things are going well at the moment," Marshall said. "My shoulder has no more pain and I'm getting ready to start throwing again. I've felt really good the last week and a half now. Right after the (Double-A) all-star break is about when I first started experiencing some discomfort there."

Marshall last pitched on July 9 at West Tenn. While it's too late to re-join the Jaxx in time for the team's post-season run, he is set to start the Cubs' standard throwing program soon.

For those unfamiliar with the Cubs' throwing program, Marshall explains:

"The rehab for starting pitchers is usually about a month. You start small with a light toss of 60 feet. As the weeks go on, you work your way back up with more long tosses, then its half-bullpens and full bullpens. After that, you throw to a couple of hitters and do some simulated workouts. If that goes well, they'll put you in some short outings, usually two to three innings and then three to five. It takes a little over a month."

As for the past injury to his finger, all is completely healed. Marshall said, "Once it got cleared, I had no problems. The doctors tell me there's a one in a thousand chance of re-injuring that same tendon."

That tendon was the cause of Marshall being held over an additional week in Mesa this spring. It caused him to miss the final two-plus months of last season after getting off to a fast start at Class-A Lansing. There he was 2-0 with a sparkling 1.11 ERA in seven starts with the Lugnuts, striking out 51 batters and walking only four.

He had hoped to begin the year at West Tenn, but understood the need to start off at Daytona.

"I was happy, because I got out of the rehab in Arizona a little earlier than expected and started playing in some real game situations," Marshall said. "I was excited to continue my rehab pitching in competition. They started stretching me out and wanted to make sure I was pain free and that I was strong and ready to go back to Double-A by the all-star break."

By Spring Training of next year, Marshall expects to be 100 percent healthy and ready to break camp at, presumably, Double-A.

Northsiders Report Top Stories