Born: 7/24/1986 (29) in Chesterfield, MO
Ht/WT: 6-4, 215
B/T: R / R
Draft: 2005, Los Angeles Dodgers, 14th rd. (436th overall)
High School: John Burroughs School, Ladue, MO
Debut: May 9, 2012
In 29 spring training at bats, Scott is already hitting .414 with 3 bombs, which is solid no doubt. However, watching him play recently, it was his defense that made me a little worried. He is a utility guy who has spent time at first base and the outfield. In right field, he seemed to struggle with first instinct and hustle. On a routine fly to right center he made a clear first move misread and barely caught the ball across his body behind him. Just a few plays later a seemingly catchable flyball dropped with what appeared to be very little concern. It's only mid-March and an early observation, let's see what we can look forward to in 2016:
- Long strikezone top-to-bottom.
- Stood up for a high strikezone.
- 15% of hits were off sinkers.
- Did not swing often at pitches above the zone and away half - only swung at 17% of 35 pitches there (36% is avg).
- Got thrown first-pitch strikes often (64%).
- Hit curves well - 31% of his 19 swings were hits/sacs (12% is avg).
- Hit line-drives well above average frequency - 33% of balls in play (20% is avg).
- Got hits/sacs most often off curve (31% of swings) compared to his least (cutter 7%).
- Stretched 2nd to home often on singles - 5 of 7 chances.
- Hit cutters ineffectively when in play, batting 0.09 (0.305 is avg).
- Hole up/right in the zone - he got hits only 6% of the time off his 66 swings there.
- Big hole below the knees and away half - he got hits only 6% of the time off his 50 swings there.
data info courtesy of: ariballdata