Dodgers Rained Out in of Game Two in Taiwan

The second game of the three-game exhibition series between the Dodgers and Taiwan's professional All-Stars was canceled due to heavy rain. The rain started to fall Saturday morning and continued through the afternoon, making it impossible to start the game at 2 p.m. as scheduled.

Players waited for more than two and a half hours in Taipei's Tienmu Baseball Stadium before the game was called off. There was a break in the rain at around 4 p.m., and after consulting with both teams, the organizers announced that the game would start at 4:25 p.m., only for the rain to start up again and force the contest to be canceled.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre, players and coaching staff went onto the field after the game was called off to show their appreciation to the more than 8,000 fans who had also waited in the rain. They threw their caps and batting gloves into the stands in appreciation to those who waited out the rain delay.

All ticket holders will receive full refunds, series promoter Bros Sports Marketing announced.

Both teams are scheduled to travel to the southern city of Kaohsiung by high speed rail early Sunday for Game 3 of the series to be played at Kaohsiung County Stadium.

Kuo Scratched From Start
An extremely disappointed Hong-Chih told the Dodgers training staff that his elbow was sore again, and manager Joe Torre cancelled what would have been a start of a lifetime for the Taiwan native.

"It's nothing major -- he wants to pitch," Torre said of Kuo, whose elbow, operated on four times already, has no margin for error. "But if something happened in front of his home crowd ... but we can't take a chance."

Kuo, who has had four elbow operations, including two Tommy John reconstructions, said he experienced some soreness during his perfect inning in Tuesday's exhibition game in Arizona and again during a bullpen session Friday, after which he notified the team training staff. He will be shut down indefinitely. -- Ken Gurnick

Belisario on the Move -- Maybe reports that the tardy pitcher hopes to have his visa by Monday, that he is in good shape and will only need two bullpen sessions to be game ready, and that he hasn't missed any appointments with the American embassy in Caracas.

Bowa Has Checkup
Third base coach Larry Bowa left in the middle of the game against Cincinnati Friday and went to a nearby emergency room with stomach cramps. Hitting coach Don Mattingly didn't think it was serious. "I think he might just be trying to get out of that Tucson trip," Mattingly said, referring to the two-hour bus ride the Dodgers have to take for today's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Tommy John's Son Dead at 28
Taylor John, son of former Dodgers pitcher Tommy John and an accomplished singer who performed on Broadway as a boy and sang with choirs at two north suburban churches, died March 9th.

Taylor, 28, had struggled with depression for several years, said his sister, Tamara Mannelly. He died as the result of a seizure and heart failure due to an overdose of prescription drugs, she said.

Growing up he moved frequently as the family followed his father's career. As a boy, he sang in "Les Miserables" on Broadway and in a national tour. In addition to performing several times at the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa., Taylor recorded a version of the national anthem that was made available to leagues across the country.

He had been a teacher's assistant at Deerpath Middle School in Lake Forest for about two-and-a-half years, said the school's principal, John Steinert. He also worked with children during the summers at the Lake Bluff Park District, his sister said.

Tommy John pitched for the Dodgers from 1972 through 1978 and recorded an 87-42, 2.98 record. While with the Dodgers he suffered a severe elbow injury but overcame it after Dr. Frank Job's seminal procedure that is now commonly referred to as "Tommy John surgery." He went on to win 288 Major League games.

LA Dodgers Insider Top Stories